boiling 5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamtroxel

Reaction score
standard recipes etc call for a 2 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch.

I have head that boiling more is better if you can do it. Is that true? If so why?

I know - a dumb question, but I have room in my kettle and it would seem a shame to waste it. My kettle can easily handle 3.5 to 4 gallons without a boil over.

Doing higher volume boils is better because it utilizes the bittering hops more effectively and reduces the chance of getting burnt/caramelized wort due to the high concentration of sugars.

If you can do more than 2 gallons, by all means, do so. The only thing you may want to do is see if you have to adjust your hops for the added volume, which is where software like Beersmith can come in real handy. Even if you don't have that, the beer will turn out fine, but may be just slightly more bitter than the original recipe called for with a 2 gallon boil.

Just don't make the same mistake I did ... I tried boiling about 4.5 gallons once, only to realize that my ~3500 BTU/hr stove takes almost an hour to bring that much water to a boil. So I went and got a 185,000 BTU/hr turkey fryer. No more boiling problems now!

Read this thread. I found it a good read. I steep in about a gallon of water, probably to much. I then add another 2-2.5 gallons to that gallon for boiling. If you use a stove it might not kick out enough heat to boil that big.

It's the Bayou Classic SP-10. Almost sounds like a jet engine when fully cranked! I'm sure it's sucking propane pretty fast at 185,000 BTU. But of course you don't need it turned up that far once it's reached boil.

Latest posts

Back