Boiled hops in my primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kremlock

Reaction score
So I made a 5 gal IPA today and I ended up using a total of 11.5 oz of hop pellets. I had then in a bag (muslin bag I think) when I was boiling. I pulled the bag out before chilling, chilled it in 7 minutes and poured it into my primary.

Now I've noticed that there is A LOT of left over hops in the bottom of the primary...probably 1 inch at the bottom.

Is this a problem? will this interfear with the fermentation?

I hydrated the dry yeast before in water with a tsp of LME.

Thanks for your help.

I transfer everything into the fermenter and don't use a hop bag at all. The hops settle fine and I have yet to see any make it to the beer after racking. Mind you this will not work if using a plate or cf chiller. No worries!

I prefer to strain everything into primary myself. It aerates the wort pretty well,& makes for less trub at bottling time. But it's still a matter of preference as to how much you want to put into it.

You really didn't need to use the bag in the first place. The whole idea of a hop bag is to keep the hop residue out of the primary. Having hops in the boil and the fermentor don't hurt anything, though. Most people who use a hops bag or any other kind of hop filter do it because hops will stop up immersion chillers, plate chillers, and counterflow chillers, or at the least make them difficult to clean if you run hops through them.

IN your case, you can just put the hops striaght into the boil. They'll settle into the trub just like everything else during fermentation, so you just rack as little of it as you can into your bottling bucket or keg after fermentation is complete.

Back