Boil time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmac2472

Reaction score
Just wondering, when hopping wort is the boil time from when it starts to boil or from the start when it is heating? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question
Thanks

jmac2472 said:
Just wondering, when hopping wort is the boil time from when it starts to boil or from the start when it is heating? Sorry if this seems like a dumb question
Thanks

When it starts boiling. But more important than when it starts boiling is when you make your 60 minute hop additions. The 60 minute hop addition is when you should really start your 60 minute timer. (Assuming you are doing the fairly standard 60 minute hop addition obviously)

Agreed - I sometimes boil for 30 minutes before adding bittering hops. Just as it reaches boil there is some brown crud on white foam, I skim this off.

Yes, it's from when you're at boiling and add the bittering hops. However, one thing I've learned in my time brewing is to allow the hot break to settle first. I used to put my hops in as soon as a rolling boil occurred then I'd start my timer. I've since changed that to allowing the hot break (the foam the comes up once the boil starts) to settle into the boil and dissipate before adding my hops. The reason? Adding the hops when the hot break is active causes a lot of foaming up and to keep it down I have to spray cold water with a water bottle - which is always smart to keep on hand anyway. Sometimes I'll spray a little bit onto the hot break to get it to dissipate quicker but once it's gone and into the boil I then add my hops and start countdown, and since then no more super foaming issues.

Rev.

rev2010 said:
yes, it's from when you're at boiling and add the bittering hops. However, one thing i've learned in my time brewing is to allow the hot break to settle first. I used to put my hops in as soon as a rolling boil occurred then i'd start my timer. I've since changed that to allowing the hot break (the foam the comes up once the boil starts) to settle into the boil...

Rev.

+1

You can actually do it either way.

The "standard" method is to bring the wort to a boil, let the break settle, and then start your timer and 60 minute addition.

You can also "first wort hop" - ie add the hops to the hot, but not boiling, wort. Bring to a boil, watch for the break, and then start your 60 minute timer.

billl said:
You can actually do it either way.

The "standard" method is to bring the wort to a boil, let the break settle, and then start your timer and 60 minute addition.

You can also "first wort hop" - ie add the hops to the hot, but not boiling, wort. Bring to a boil, watch for the break, and then start your 60 minute timer.

That's true but you might get higher IBUs that way. If you're following a recipe you might not want to first wort hop unless it calls for it.

Latest posts

Back