Boil size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratstud00

Reaction score
Probably a dumb question, but is it possible to do an all grain mash and only do a partial (i.e. 2.5-3 gal) boil? Then add top up water when pitching yeast as is done in partial mash/extract kits?

I ask because I don't currently have the equipment to do a full boil, as I am limited to using the stove in my house.

You can develop a recipe that will use ingredients to get a high SG. Then you dilute to the desired OG or volume. Hitting the OG you want and the volume you want could be tricky.

If you use beer smith I believe you can factor in top off water in your equipment profile.

Of course it is possible. It may do things to your efficiency and hop utilization that might produce different results than the same recipe with a 5 gallon boil, but of course you can do it and it will make beer.

You'll take a big hit on your mash efficiency, then again on your hop utilization during the concentrated wort boil. You may also get some extra caramelization by boiling double strength wort.

Can you boil in 2 pots? 3 pots? When I had a smaller capacity stove I've spread boils over multiple pots. 5-6 gallons in the main kettle and 2 x 1-1.5 gallons on the smaller burners. Keeping the lid halfway on the main kettle kept the boil rolling, while still evaporating enough to drive off all DMS.

Alternatively, you could mash the whole lot and do 2 back to back boils and combine the chilled wort in the fermentor. Many (pro) breweries have fermentors that are typically a factor 2-4 larger than their kettle.

Back