Boil Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgoehner

Reaction score
Before I finally go to bed, one question for my second batch. I know there are a lot of benefits to doing a full boil even on an extract. I cannot do a full boil, but I can do about 3.5 to 4 gallons instead of the 2.5 that the kit calls for. Would it be beneficial to do as much as possible?

It won't hurt in small batch brewing to do that, say, under 10 gallons. Your boil is actually a concentrate and will be thinned out a bit with your topoff water in your primary fermentor anyway.

Yeah, if you have a tiny bit of extra hops toss them in, since they won't be used as effectively in a small boil. Other than that, it shouldn't be a problem. I did my first few batches that way. Still do, really, my stove can't quite handle boiling 7 something gallons, so I usually start my boil at 5gal and then adjust with water in the fermenter.

The more water in the boil the higher the IBU's will be with the same amount of hops. When you add water your dilute the wort you boiled.

Thanks everyone, I ended up doing 3.5 gallons and after shaking the wort and top off water like crazy I ended up almost nailing the OG the kit called for 1.052 and I ended up with about 1.051. Really happy with that, the recommended temp range for the yeast I am using (Wyeast 1007) is 55-68 and in my swamp chiller I have it at 64ish and it is going down a little more. Oh, I am doing the Norther Brewer German Alt.

Back