Boil over question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgunn137

Reaction score
Ok...I brewed a American IPA extract kit from MoreBeer this morning and had a boil over. After adding the first 1.5 oz. of Magnum hops the wort erupted into a boil over. Before I could get the pot lifted off of the burner I had lost some of the wort, guessing around 1/4 to 1/2 gallon. Realized I forgot to turn the burner down/off before adding the hops. At the end of the 60 minute boil I ended up with 2 gal. of wort in my fermenter after starting out with 3 gallons of water before boil. My question is: Will adding the 3 gallons of water to bring it up to the 5 gallon level on the fermenting bucket result in a too week of a beer?

for the future try using fermcap. it kills the boilover issue and will also reduce your krausen height. Apparently you can also spray the hot break with a water filled spray bottle but I haven't tried it yet.

Are you sure you lost a 1/2 gallon? What seems like a lot!

If it was me, I would add water until you hit your target OG and worry too much about the total volume. You are better of having a little under 5 gallons of good beer vs 5 gallons of watered down beer (a.k.a bud)

If you lost a half gallon, you will either have 5 gallons of weaker beer (90% of intended gravity), or you will have 4.5 gallons of the intended gravity. It's your choice. Depending on the OG, I might just top off to normal full volume.

I ended up topping it off to full volume. It is an IPA so it might be a tad weaker but hopefully still pretty good. I will employ the spray bottle technique with the next brew for sure.

+1 for Fermcap. Tremendous product that goes in EVERY beer I make.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back