Boil over nooB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jason_g

Reaction score
So I am three batches in ( two with my own starter equipment). First off homebrewers are the best group of people to be involved with... second I have boiled over both times I have brewed by myself (walked away both times for less than a minute) but neither time have been more than a half a cup. Just enough to have a mess on the stove afterwards.

So far this is awesome, ive been drinking a vanilla stout for about a month and have a Scottish ale and a strawberry blonde all in the secondary and primary... already tweaking the recipies... next is a malted high gravity cider and a nut brown ale that i am adding lactose and jack Daniels soaked wood chips to.

Great hobby, Great beer, Great friends

I am about six batches or so in and I haven't had a boil-over yet, but I read about it all the time on here and even in recipe instructions. But at the same all the pots I boil in have plenty of boil room. Just get bigger pots.

I have 5 gallon pots already I think its probably just me... need to keep a better eye my brew, and not the one im drinking

I've only got a couple of batches under my belt. No BO yet (knock on wood). The spray bottle of water technique has been working for me. It knocks it down really well and gives me a little break in my hover time. Cheers!

There is a product out there that costs about $5, it is called FermCapS. You put in two drops per gallon and it eliminates boil overs. It is also great in starters.

I can recommend either a larger kettle, or using some foam control, such as fermcap, or baby gas drops (unflavored).

And welcome to the addiction!

Latest posts

Back