Boil over clean up help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SmCranf

Reaction score
Hey guys, hope you can help me! I had my first boil over today, I think in part because I was being impatient with the wort boiling so I added the lid to my pot without checking it. Anyways I was curious what to what you find best for getting this horrible sticky mess off the stove top? Thanks!

For future reference, you will only get boilovers at a very specific time in the brewing process: when you look away for a second. The good news is it usually only boils over - or threatens to - once. If you can catch it that one time, it's (usually) not a problem after that. Keep a spray bottle of water handy and give it a spritz when it looks like it's going to start. If you're cooking on gas, you can "ride" the flame, turning it down as it looks like it's starting to boil over. But really I recommend Fermcap S foam control drops. It works great!

Yeah it happens to all of us. That makes us brewers unite.

It's most important to clean it up right away, so it doesn't burn onto/into the stove top. Allegedly, sugar/wort can pit glass stove tops. If you have regular burners it is still messy, but not as critical. Plus you can soak the parts in PBW, washing soda or lye. Watch out for that last stuff though.

Trying to keep SWMBO convinced you know what you're doing will be trickier, unless you own the kitchen. ;)

On the bright side, it will make significant other push to move your brewery outside. That means a burner and other new toys.

I'm lucky. I can set my burner on the absolute max and my 6~ gallons will hit 212 perfect but will never actually give a rolling boil. Past 5 brews I've set it and sat at the other end of the kitchen with a book for the entire boil.

I usually get the last remnants off the stove with a paste of baking soda with a little water, and a sponge.

Back