Boil necessary with cereal mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwartzr33

Reaction score
I have a eBIAB rig, so it is easy for me to step through the various temperatures for a cereal mash. I'm wondering if I could do a multi-step mash with my total grain bill, including 30% unmalted grain. This would mean the cereal would not get boiled, as it would in a typical cereal mash. Will I lose anything by not separately step mashing AND boiling the cereal before adding to the main mash?

Is it "flaked"? I understand boiling is necessary for gelatinization, but "flaking" (rolling) accomplishes the same purpose. I only boil unflaked adjunct.

If not, just cook it on the stove like you would rice or porridge before you add it to mash. It isn't very hard.

schwartzr33 said:
Thanks. The cereal is not flaked. Do you know what the benefit of gelantanization is?

It's the "explosion" of the starch molecules, so presumably it makes them more susceptible to conversion by the enzymes in the base malt. You can basically just boil them until soft enough to eat. Flaking does the same thing but with pressure instead of heat (or with heat produced by the pressure, some say).

Back