Boil kettle help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrozenWinter

Reaction score
So I have a NB Megapot 1.2 (8 gal) with a ball valve and a 90* pick up tube and it seems to pick up every last bit of trub from the boil kettle when I drain it into a fermentor.
Any ideas on how to fix this? I've tried the SS pot scrubber on the pick up tube but that seems to clog after the valve is opened for a minute. any ideas on how to reduce the amount of trub going into my carboy would be appreciated.
I've been looking at a false bottom from Norcal or similar. Any ideas if this would help?

I'm not familiar with that exact kettle but on mine I simple turn the pick up tube to one side (I use a 3/4" piece of wood to set it to the proper depth for my kettle).

How far towards the center of the kettle does the pick-up tube extend? Might look into a side pick-up version.
Also, are you whirl pooling and allowing the trub to cone-up? That can help a lot...

Cheers!

The pick up tube extends maybe 1.5" in from the kettle wall. I've tried whirlpooling but seeing as im using a immersion chiller and "Whirlpooling" with a spoon to stir it doesn't work so well for me.

The pick up tube extends maybe 1.5" in from the kettle wall. I've tried whirlpooling but seeing as im using a immersion chiller and "Whirlpooling" with a spoon to stir it doesn't work so well for me.

Give this a try next batch: chill to your pitching temperature, remove the IC, give the wort a good stir for 15 seconds or so, put the lid on, and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then drain it...

Cheers!

Give this a try next batch: chill to your pitching temperature, remove the IC, give the wort a good stir for 15 seconds or so, put the lid on, and let it sit for 10 minutes or so. Then drain it...

Cheers!
Thanks, ill give that a shot. Makes sense that it should work as the IC usually gets in the way and prevents me from getting the wort stirred well.
I'm planning on brewing again in the next week or so, ill let you know how it works out.

That trub you are trying to leave in the pot is pretty fluid and the dip tube will like to suck it up. It's fluid because it is mostly wort with a little protein in it. Any you leave behind is potential beer lost. It doesn't hurt anything to have it in the fermenter. The yeast seem to like it and may be using part of it in their fermentation.

When the fermentation is over, the leftover trub will settle to the bottom of the fermenter, get covered with the flocculating yeast, and begin to compact, releasing most of the beer. Carefully siphon above it and not much will get into the bottles or keg.

Latest posts

Back