Boil kettle condenser - no overhead ventilation needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I think the steam condenser should be the Homebrewtalk.com innovation of the year 2018. Who's with me? How do we make this happen?

This has been the biggest game changer in home brewing in 2018 hands down.

Who do I need to talk to to make this happen?
I like that idea, and I'm making some inquiries.

Brew on :mug:

Used the Steam Slayer for the first time last night in conjunction with the Grounded eBIAB system, worked perfectly! The 6gph nozzle produced 7 gallons of waste water over a 60 minute boil with my system. Definitely had a cooked corn smell and boil-off was about 6-7%.

Used mine for the first time for a brew yesterday also. I bought parts back in the summer but just now got around to drilling my kettle. I’d be interested in what folks are doing for odor control.....it was much worse than I expected. I have a pico zymatic and it was much much worse than the odor it produces. I was thing about a bucket with a carbon filter, or running it to a Sump pit or just using a window fan. I was using a diy hood (30qt bowl with hydroponic fan) which worked well but was such an eyesore I wanted to get rid of it.

I have a 1BBL stout system with a Brewmation control panel and two 5500w elements per kettle.

Any suggestions for adapting this concept to my rig? I generally run around 25 gallon brews, occasionally 30+.

Steve ⚓

Used mine for the first time for a brew yesterday also. I bought parts back in the summer but just now got around to drilling my kettle. I’d be interested in what folks are doing for odor control.....it was much worse than I expected. I have a pico zymatic and it was much much worse than the odor it produces. I was thing about a bucket with a carbon filter, or running it to a Sump pit or just using a window fan. I was using a diy hood (30qt bowl with hydroponic fan) which worked well but was such an eyesore I wanted to get rid of it.
I still haven't had the opportunity to try out my steam slayer, but I'm well known as the fool that rushes in, so here goes: with normal open boiling, the compounds that produce the smell are dispersed and diluted by the large volume of steam, producing the wonderful odors that we either love or hate.

When we condense most of the steam, we also catch some of the odor compounds, hence the 'fragrant' condensate. The more volatile compounds end up in the air, and without the steam and other components, don't smell nice at all.

Well, that's my theory, and I'll stick with it until somebody smarter tells me what's wrong with it. That shouldn't take long.

I'm thinking it wouldn't take too much of an exhaust system to overcome this little hiccup. Maybe use your unaesthetic bowl exhaust on top of the catch bucket?

Yeah, I might give the hood over the bucket idea a go to see how that works. I plan to run it to a drain long term.

Well, that's my theory, and I'll stick with it until somebody smarter tells me what's wrong with it. That shouldn't take long.

What's wrong with it would depend on the smell. I don't run into this as I run it down the drain.

I would be doubtful it's the hops side of things unless someone hates the hop smell. The lowest boiling point I'm aware of for the compounds in hops is 223F(other than any residual H2O), with most being well above 300F.

I'd be curious to know what it smells like, as compared to say household spices or other household chemicals (citronella candles as an example). That would help give an idea what the compound is, and may yield an additive you guys could use to react with it in the bucket. Changing the compound to something more to your liking or nuetral, ideally. Or just run to a drain [emoji482]

Another question I'd have is whether they are using treated water(ro/distilled) for the brew, but tap/well for the condenser. Maybe something funky in the condensing water?

I'd be hooking it up to this. I'm curious if increasing the chamber (the tee) to a larger size will increase the affect or if the whole assembly would need it... or if it's just unnecessary.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

20180302_174437.jpg
20180302_174437.jpg

Last edited:
I brewed today using the steam condenser, and had the same kind of smell. It did seem to be coming, at least in part, from under the sink where I drain it.

@fragged asked about what it smells like. It's hard to describe, but perhaps the closest I can come is it's a sort of burned hop smell.

That leads me to question if the electric element might have something to do with this. Mine always has a layer of something on it at the end (it disappears with a soak in hot PBW).

I opened the garage doors about 40 minutes into the boil, to clear out as much smell as I could. It worked pretty well actually, and while the smell hung around, it didn't seem to recreate itself.

I brewed a variant on a Mexican Lager, so if there are any off flavors in it from this effect, I should be able to detect them.

I had my very first brew on a 20 gal Spike system on Wednesday, with virtually zero odors coming from the Steam Slayer or Condensate. There was no steam as well, so I know it worked. Now, I'm a little worried that I didn't stink up my garage.
That said, could it have been that with a first brew with nothing on the elements could have held the odors down? That would confirm Mongoose's theory about the electric element above.
That leads me to question if the electric element might have something to do with this. Mine always has a layer of something on it at the end (it disappears with a soak in hot PBW).
I don't know. I just love this thing, as it enabled me to purchase my Spike system and brew in larger batches. I vote for invention of the year.

I had my very first brew on a 20 gal Spike system on Wednesday, with virtually zero odors coming from the Steam Slayer or Condensate. There was no steam as well, so I know it worked. Now, I'm a little worried that I didn't stink up my garage.
That said, could it have been that with a first brew with nothing on the elements could have held the odors down? That would confirm Mongoose's theory about the electric element above.

I don't know. I just love this thing, as it enabled me to purchase my Spike system and brew in larger batches. I vote for invention of the year.

Where are you running your drain? It sounds like those running there drain line to a plumbed drain opening or outside their indoor area are not having odor issues? I’m interested if running to an open drain vs bucket eliminates the issue. I’m considering drilling a port on my stainless sink to allow my drain line to go to the sink drain or running a pvc line to my sump pit (brewing in my basement). Thanks

I would use a 2” or more.

For the connection to the tank/kettle or just the chamber? Reason is that I see that is the brew boss one seems to have smaller intake (1/2" or 5/8") going into 1.5" TC chamber. I assume I 'could' have similar performance with an offset inlet to chamber. Stilldragon sells a 2" TC bulkhead for:

https://www.glaciertanks.com/tri-clamp-fittings-long-tees-b7mp-g200.html

Or I could run 1.5" to:

https://www.brewershardware.com/2-X...ng-Clamp-Tee-TC20TEEX101.html?category_id=328

<20 minutes later>
I think I just went full shiny object syndrome.... I'll revisit this later.

EDIT: We're trying to build a new house and if it works out this setup is going in the garage and I want to avoid extensive ventilation. No-one minds the brewing odors and worst case scenario I open the man door if I had something smell off.

Last edited:
I could try something like this then once I get the garage situated I can run a PEX line from the sink to connect to the tubing NPT with a small valve. The reducer would just be in lieu of a spool to add some length for volume beneath the steam inlet since it's not a cool tee like the steam slayer.

Supposed to be pouring a foundation in the next few weeks so I might be able to buy toys again... maybe.

Condensor Piece Parts.jpg
Condensor Piece Parts TC.jpg

I definitely get a smell from my condensate. Smells like a gross corn smell to me. I just assumed it was DMS precursors being condensed. The smell was strong enough to me that I went from draining into a five gallon bucket on my first use, to draining outside ever since.

I allow my condensate to drain into a 5 gallon bucket. I get the same strong smell in the bucket and really smell it when dumping the bucket into the sink. I brew in a basement and turn on a window fan to help reduce the smell. I don’t find it overwhelming but would love to come up with a way to reduce or eliminate it. Unfortunately it can’t be drained directly outside. Can someone tell me if the smell is reduced if draining directly into a drain pipe vs a bucket?

Glad to hear others are experiencing the same odor issue. I felt like a outcast when I reported how bad it was.

I will sell my steam slayer to anyone that wants one. Only used once and based on how bad the odor was I’m not going to bother trying again because I can’t risk that again because of you-know-who.

Looking for the same answer. I took my crappy hood down but still have it. I was thinking of having a combo of a small portable fan blowing out the window and having the drain trickle through a bag of activated carbon to see if that helps. Really interested in anyone's solution to the odor...other than running the drain outside as that is not an option. I love the system but man it stunk up the house.

Glad to hear others are experiencing the same odor issue. I felt like a outcast when I reported how bad it was.

I will sell my steam slayer to anyone that wants one. Only used once and based on how bad the odor was I’m not going to bother trying again because I can’t risk that again because of you-know-who.

Sorry to hear you are disappointed with the steam condenser. I love mine and will continue to use it. The odor issue isn’t a major problem for me, just something I’d like to reduce if a simple solution can be found. I’ll deal with a little odor over having to deal with a ventilation system.

I suggest you hang on to it, at least for a while. The combined brain power of this bunch will likely find three or four viable solutions very soon.

Looking for the same answer. I took my crappy hood down but still have it. I was thinking of having a combo of a small portable fan blowing out the window and having the drain trickle through a bag of activated carbon to see if that helps. Really interested in anyone's solution to the odor...other than running the drain outside as that is not an option. I love the system but man it stunk up the house.

Like I said earlier I use a small window fan and have it exhaust out one of the basement windows. I crack open another window that is over the brew kettle. Helps a lot, just not ideal when it’s really cold out. Using the window fan the odor is just a minor issue, certainly not a show stopper.

Odor is #1 concern of mine doing this in the house. Wife absolutely hates the smell. To complicate matters, my brew area is in same area as the HVAC. All aromas are quickly dispersed to the entire house. There is little margin for error in my situation.

The ventilation hood wasn’t a perfect solution for me but overall worked well. Low oxygen brewing was actually the best odor reducing method of anything. Until I boil the only smell is a little grain dust. I probably need to lower my hood about 8” and that’ll help capture the little wisps of steam that escape around the edges.

Above the p-trap; here's a pic showing the drain line entering the PVC drain pipe. You can't see the p-trap below. The thing that looks like a horizontal pipe coming off that is actually one of the filters for the RO filter and not part of the drain pipe.

View attachment 606086

I think I'd try adapting that riser to your condensate tube so it's tight. Looks like your RO effluent tube is there as well so that would need a saddle tap or equivalent into the same riser to make that work...

Cheers!

Has anyone tried adding activated carbon to the waste bucket. It's fairly cheap stuff and can be bought in bulk. Of course the waste water would then have to be strained from carbon.

Wikipedia says mercuric chloride makes the smell more bearable. Maybe some has and old bottle of Mercuro-Chrome lying around?

Last edited:
I think I'd try adapting that riser to your condensate tube so it's tight. Looks like your RO effluent tube is there as well so that would need a saddle tap or equivalent into the same riser to make that work...

Cheers!

I thought about stuffing some foam rubber into the top to see if that would reduce the odor. On my list. Fermenter is full so it may be a couple weeks before I get another chance to brew.

I need a second fermenter....

I'm kind of on the fence about getting one of these, how much you selling it for?

I’m going to get some aquarium filter socks and throw in some activated carbon in one to run my drain line through it. I’m not sure if there will be enough contact time to work but figure it will be a cheap experiment. I’m also looking at the hydroponic carbon air filters to hook my hood fan to and just set it nearby to filter the room air. Might be a couple weeks before I can get another brew in though.

For anyone out there with a Stout 15 gallon BK that might want to try the steam condenser but is concerned that there might be issues with condensation leaking around the edges of the loose fitting domed lid the Stout comes with (or would prefer not to cut holes in the lid) I found a recessed style pot lid made by Vigor (16 5/8 Stainless Steel Replacement Lid for 40 Qt Stock Pot) at a place called WebstaurantStore that fits my pot perfectly/ nice and tight. It was relatively inexpensive @ 18.99 and is made of heavy stainless.

Stout Lid1.jpg Stout Lid2.jpg Stout Lid3.jpg

I would be interested if it is still available.

Back