Bock-Type Ale Recipe Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeWI

Reaction score
Bock'n Ale-lee-inator

Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.70 gal

Ingredients

11 lbs LME Munich (Briess) (8.0 SRM) Extract 4 86.3 %
1 lbs Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 1 7.8 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 2 3.9 %
4.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 2.0 %
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 5 15.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker [4.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 2.9 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.084 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 8.7 %
Bitterness: 18.2 IBUs
Est Color: 16.0 SRM

I'm planning a month in the primary, 2 months in secondary and a month of bottle conditioning. Any suggestions, advice, mockery, etc.? Anyone make something similar? How'd that turn out? Let me know, thanks.

Mike

Isn't Munich malt supposed to be sweeter? If so,11lbs might be a bit much. I'd like to know for sure myself,as I've got a recipe or two where I'd like to try some Munich LME that Midwest carries. After looking at that Munich malt extract,it says it's 50% base malt,50% Munich malt,so the caramunich might be doubling up as well. It says it's very rich & malty,with an amber color. That may be indicative of some malty sweetness.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering if the CaraMunich and Melanoidin specialty malts are even necessary since I'm using Munich LME as my base. I've scaled them back from my original recipe (1 lb of each) after doing some reading and finding they add and intensify the maltiness. I was hoping someone who had used Munich LME and/or those other malts would lend me their experience.

Mike

personally, id ditch the cara malts and up the melanoidan or add some munich/vienna (can never have too much). 1.5lbs of crystal, plus all that munich and low IBUs is gunna be quite sweet.

Back