Bock, labering, seccondary fement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsalot

Reaction score
I am brewing an extract bock, I was unaware that bocks nned to be lagered until about a week after I fermentation( my instructions that came with my extract brrew kit siad nothing about lower temps). I transfered it into my fridge where the temp was around 55-45 degrees mainly 5o degrees F. It was in there for about another a week and a week. Now I have transfereed into a 5 gallon seccondary car boy. I plan to leave this brew in for 2 more weeks before bottling. I want it to be done by christmas it is going to be a gift for my family. Is everything here reasonable, temp, fementation time, and deadline? Any help is appreciated.

hopsalot said:
I dont follow your question "use did you 'use' " ?
I'm quite sure she meant to say "what kind of yeast did you use?"

If your kit did not say to lager it, I'd be willing to bet that it included ale yeast, in which case it is not going to be a true bock and lagering with ale yeast isn't going to do you much good.
Many of the mass-produced kits out there for beers that should be lagered are 'fakes' in that they use ale yeast and don't involve any lagering. Not that you can't make something enjoyable from them, but it's kind of misleading if you expect the kit to produce a beer with lager characteristics which you won't get from fermenting as an ale.

If I were you, unless your kit actually included lager yeast, I'd forget about lagering it and just treat it as an ale. It'll still likely come out just fine, but won't be an authentic bock. Worry about lagering when you're prepared for it, and start with a recipe that's meant for it.

Keep checking gravity till right before you bottle. Lager yeast works best at colder temps, but it will also ferment a bit slower.

Back