BMC Lite + Brett

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenstein

Reaction score
We've all been there, your buddy has a huge party, buys some kegs of craft beer and picks up a keg of BMC beer because y'know, people still drink that right? Come Sunday morning the good beer is all gone and there's 10 gallons of America's finest left and the oxidation clock is counting down. All of your friends are hung over from the night before so you're lucky to kill a gallon with beermosas and red beer the next morning. What's a beer nerd to do?

Before you send the keg back to the distributor half full, why not transfer 5 gallons to a fermenter/corny? Purge with CO2, throw in some Brett dregs and some priming sugar to get fermentation going again and drive off some of that O2.

Sounds good in theory, so I'm filling a corny with Miller Lite after work to try this out, I'll let you know how it goes. If there's been too much oxygen introduced then it could end up acetic and cardboardy.

I regret that I have but one tongue to give for science.

I saw some thread about Brett possibly being able to digest some of the oxidized compounds and kind of "cure" the oxidation a bit. So I say go for it

After reading the Bud Heavy Sour thread I've got enough proof of concept, I'm definitely doing this. I think I can get 5 gal of Coors Light and 5 of Miller Lite, time to work up some photo shopped labels.

Back