Blueberry Primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesZ

Reaction score
Quick question. I pureed a pound of blueberries and placed them into my primary (1.66 gallons) right before I pitched the yeast. The blueberries were not pasteurized. They were organic.

I now realize I should have pasteurized them. My question is: Does my beer have any chance of coming out well?

Thanks.
Jz

As long as they were sanitized I think it should be ok I think it being organic you have a chance of introducing wild yeast into the mix

It was a brewer's best kolsch beer kit. I divided the batch into three 2 gallon buckets, one of which was the blueberry bucket. The blueberries were rinsed with some water and then with star san solution. Then they were pureed in a food blender. After I stirred them into the beer I pitched the yeast.

I did a 1 gallon batch of a blueberry wheat with a little over 1/2 a pound of blueberries added to primary at the same time the yeast was pitched. It turned out ok.... I guess. If you close your eyes and drink it, it tastes like a wheat beer. There's no blueberry flavor AT ALL. But if you look at the beer in a glass, it looks like red kool-aid. From what I have read and experienced, blueberries ferment out almost completely, leaving nothing behind except for color. It's a pretty good wheat beer though.

Update: I bottled the Blueberry Kolsch. When I opened up the primary the blueberry puree was floating on the top in clumps. The beer seemed to smelled of blueberries. When I siphoned the beer into the bottling bucket I set aside a small amount for tasting. The beer tasted fruity or sugary, slightly bitter. The Blueberry Kolsch seemed to have a bit more body than the straight up normal Kolsch. I did not get the blueberry taste I was going for, but I am happy with it so far and am looking forward to trying it after it sits in the bottle for a few weeks.

Update: the blueberry kolsch has a beautiful red amber hue. It tastes fruity, but not really blueberries. It is not what I was going for, but very good nonetheless.

Jz

Back