Blueberry mead questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler21

Reaction score
Hello, so this is my 3rd mead. The first 2 I made were successful, however I followed recipes. For this batch (3rd) I figured I'd try to make a blueberry mead recipe on my own. I used 6lbs of frozen blueberrys and 3 bottles of 100% blueberry juice, and 13lbs of clove honey (the good stuff) not walmart brand. Anyhow it's been 3 months and all fermentation is done. I figured that the mead would smell like blueberry however no notes yet, in fact it smells mostly like yeast. The taste is blending more but still no blueberry flavor. I've read that meads take some time to mature and smooth as well as for that he flavor to be pronounced, is this the case? Any ideas possibly a secondary addition of blueberrys? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Tyler21 - and welcome. You don't say how large your batch of mead is or what kind of yeast you used or whether you added any nutrients... It's possible that you blew off all the aromatics if the fermentation was very aggressive or you used a champagne yeast (that yeast is not designed to gently ferment anything and will destroy flavor and aromas )..

Agree you likely did blow out much of the flavor of the fruit in primary especially if you went pretty dry. Blueberry will likely come through with age but will be really subtle.

Assumes a 5 gallon batch - Consider adding an additional 7-10 pounds of blueberries (1.5 to 2 pounds per gallon) for 14 days or so.

Yeah I compleetly forgot about that. It's a 5 gallon batch and I used lalvin-D47.

Im definately going to add more fruit to the secondary. I'm debating between more blueberries or a puree. I'm leaning more towards the puree for the fact that I'll be adding less water. I'm open to any suggestions and input.

Back