Blueberry lambic melomel update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemTails

Reaction score
I've had 6 gallons of a blueberry lambic melomel sitting in a glass carboy for just over 7 months now. I've kept the airlock topped up and hadn't opened it for tasting since pitch until today.

I decided to give it a little sample and see if the lambic blend has had time to do much work and was pleasantly surprised. It has a slightly tart flavor and some sweeter red wine characteristics (i'm guessing from the blueberry juice since i recognize it from my other blueberry melomels).

I was kinda hoping for a little more sourness so I guess i'll just let it sit for a while longer. I might try pitching the dregs of some more sour beers over the next few weeks and see what happens as well.

I may also end up adding a little more blueberry juice to bump up the fruitiness slightly. Either that or rack onto some blueberries and let it sit for a month or two before bottling.

Here's the recipe:

* Wyeast Lambic Blend (3278) + Wyeast Belgian Strong (1388) yeast (this combo was a cake from a previous fermentation)
* 6 quarts 'Just blueberry juice'
* 7 lbs honey
* 1 lbs maltodextrin
* water to 6 gallons

OG = 1.055 without maltodextrin.
OG = 1.060 with maltodextrin

I think carbonating this will help as well.

Back