Blueberry Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schott703

Reaction score
image-497801158.jpg

Just bottles 2.5 gallons fresh from a corny keg. I gotta say, this one surprised me. I don't like sweety fruity. As much as it looks like it, it's not. Just a hint of blueberry, slightly carbonated, wonderful color and a little dry. Ill post the ingredients if any interest.

View attachment 108026

Just bottles 2.5 gallons fresh from a corny keg. I gotta say, this one surprised me. I don't like sweety fruity. As much as it looks like it, it's not. Just a hint of blueberry, slightly carbonated, wonderful color and a little dry. Ill post the ingredients if any interest.

My wife would likely like this, though I would have to make it less dry for her. She isn't a fan of the dryness :D

Sounds good, have to agree with the second post, wife likes the sweeter less dry flavor... Very interested in your recipe though...

I'm interested in the recipe.

When I carbonate my beer, I use honey. Always leaves a light, tasty, aftertaste. What if I cared with a homemade blueberry syrup?

I'm interested in the recipe.

When I carbonate my beer, I use honey. Always leaves a light, tasty, aftertaste. What if I cared with a homemade blueberry syrup?

That looks beautiful. How did you add the blueberries? I just brewed a batch of cider with pomegranate molasses.

Hey Schott, would love to see your recipe, I’m currently experimenting with a variety of fruits, hops and oaks in cider and it would be great to see what you did, colour looks great.

My fault. I did forget to post this. I will shortly. It's definitely keeper

Here are my notes:

10-4 purchased 5 gallons of non pasteurized fresh pressed cider. Initial 1.056. Added 5 Camden tablets.
10-5 brought cider down to the shoulder of the Carboy (4.5 gallons now) and pitched a vial of white labs English cider yeast. Temp 70 deg.
11-5 fermenting long done, racked off to another 5 gallon Carboy. Specific gravity check is about 1 or less. I filled right to within 3 inches of the bung with crushed blueberries (I purchased whole and frozen at SAMs club.) It took about 5lbs. Turned the temp down to 50 degrees.
11-8 very light 2nd fermentation taking place.
12-4 2nd fermentation ended. Racked a third time to another 5 gallon Carboy. I racked through a cheesecloth to strain. Great deep blue color. Down about a gallon + now, I brought the cider right back up to 2" of the bung with glass marbles.
2-23 racked into a bottling bucket 3.25 gallons of deep blue but clean cider. Flavor is medicinal with a hint of blueberry. (I seem to get this effect with English cider yeast until a little aging takes place.) Added 8 oz. of pure blueberry concentrate purchased at the health food store. Taste is better already. I now loaded into a 5 gallon keg, pressured to 12 psi

Two weeks later...... Perfect light carbonation. Color is deep blue, taste is semi - dry with a hint of blueberry. Just what I was looking for! You could add more blueberry, but I was looking for blueberry infused cider NOT blueberry wine. I got just what I wanted. Carbonation a must. Very good now, but I think as this ages, it will only get better. Before adding the blueberries, the ABV was 7.4 %. I would image with the 2nd fermentation it's around 8%

A definite do again for fall 2013!

Thanks! Awesome notes! So you think the medicinal nose was from the yeast? I often come across this medicinal smell in ciders, to me I think it’s a bit phenolic and can be over powering, kind of like menthol and chemicals and band aids all at once. In England it seems to be less associated as a fault and is more acceptable however I don’t think it’s something that would be enjoyed as much in the US. Did this medicinal bit go away completely with time?

It is gone. It seems to linger more with higher anticipated Alcohol content. I did the exact same recipe with raspberries AND 2 lbs of added white sugar. Both same yeast, same apples, same time. When they were pulled off the secondary, and strained, the raspberry was was like moonshine. I never was able to locate any raspberry concentrate to help smooth it it so I'm going to have to wait it out. 1 month later it's already better. Not there yet, but better.

As a footnote to this recipe, after a few months of aging, it was fantastic. One of the more popular I have made. Don't think I would change a thing

Back