Blueberry Cyser Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnsaltyham

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was wondering, should I add the blueberries at the beginning, in secondary or half and half? I have heard the fruit really shines through with them in secondary but wanted to get some ideas.

Basic Recipe:
5 gallons Apple Juice
10 pounds of Honey
5 tsp Yeast Nutrient
Wyeast 4184 Sweet Mead

Thanks Everyone!
:mug:

I've heard that yeast can be a PITA, no experience personally, but make sure you follow a good nutrient schedule and degass it regularly. I usually do a 2/3 fruit upfront with the last 1/3 in secondary...my friends have loved my peach and my blueberry bochet melomels.

I've heard that yeast can be a PITA, no experience personally, but make sure you follow a good nutrient schedule and degass it regularly. I usually do a 2/3 fruit upfront with the last 1/3 in secondary...my friends have loved my peach and my blueberry bochet melomels.

Thanks so much for the reply! I have only had good experiences with it and I really enjoy the residual sweetest if gives (knock on wood)!

What if I added 15oz of the Wyman's Of Maine: Wild Blueberries to the primary and then the same to the secondary? Any harm in that you think?

My blueberry was ready at 7 months (it fermented hot and had some fusels, they've aged out complete now at 15 months) it's now as smooth as silk and I wish I has more of it, lol. The peach is just finishing up it's aging, 6 months old. Mine are a higher ABV, both around 14%, so your should be done sooner, clearing permitting.

My blueberry was ready at 7 months (it fermented hot and had some fusels, they've aged out complete now at 15 months) it's now as smooth as silk and I wish I has more of it, lol. The peach is just finishing up it's aging, 6 months old. Mine are a higher ABV, both around 14%, so your should be done sooner, clearing permitting.

Gotcha! They both sound delicious! Thanks for your help. :mug:

One more question, what yeast do you recommend if I decide to not go with the Wyeast sweet mead yeast?

71b is good for melomels, I used a modified BOMM for my peach (wyeast 1388), but the blueberry was made with 71b. I had trouble with it(it was my 2nd mead and my first bochet) but that's cause I was still a newbee, lol. I'm actually going to be trying to recreate it in a few weeks, wish me luck!

Back