Bluebell Beam Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 70505

Reaction score
I had a couple bourbon barrel aged beers on a trip to San Diego, and I fell in love. So I tried my hand at making one myself. It turned out really good and I even entered it in my first home brew contest. Although it didn't win, the judges commented that it was a beer to be proud of! This was the first recipie that I came up with all on my own, so that felt pretty good. The one thing that I thought it needed was some more carbonation and head, but I had planned on kegging, so that may explain why. I only did 2 bottles for the competition and one growler for myself. The rest I kegged. Anyway, feeb back is always welcome.

7lbs Pale malt extract (the store was out of dark)
1 1/4 lb Crystal 80
1/2 lb Black Patent
1/2 lb Chocolate malt
1/2 lb Roasted barley
2oz Fuggles
Irish Moss
White Labs 004 Irish Ale yeast
Vanilla extract
Bourbon barrel chips

Add the grains and steep at 155 for 30 min
Add the LME and boil for 60 min
Add 1 1/2 oz hops at 60 min
Add last 1/2 oz at 10 min
Add Irish Moss at 10 min
ferment for 2 weeks
Add the wood chips in the carboy to about 2-3 inches high
Add the beer to the secondary
Add 4oz vanilla extract
Age for 2 months on wood chips

How dark did this come out? I love bourbon barrel aged beer...you get the best of both worlds. Any pictures or tweaks you would redo the next time around?

It is nice and dark brown. Not sure there is anything I would change. It didn't carbonate as well as I would have liked, but is was great. I would maybe try some more malt. I still have a bit left in the keg that I will finish this weekend at the Big Brewday.

Back