blue moon clone mashing and I have a ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
There is a thread on here with the blue moon clone. WAYNE1 was kind enough to weigh in with his experiences and has answered a bunch of questions for me in PM alrady. However there seems to be no concensus on the orange peel amount among the guys who have brewed this. Wayne says that the orange should be 3 times the weight of the coriander.. everyone seems to agree that the coriander is spot on at 1 tbsp. BUT they are still debating the orange. I just weighed 1 tbsp of coriander on a very sensitive scale and it is .17 oz. If I go 3 times that, that is near 2 Tbsp of orange which is twice what anyone else posted they used. HOWEVER most seem to think the orange is weak in their beers... I guess this is a long winded way of asking if 2 tbsp of dried valencia orange peel in a 5.5 gallon batch will be overpowering?

101_0672.jpg
[/IMG]
here is the finished product. I have no idea if it looks right or not. I do know I overshot my OG by 8 points. Supposed to be 1.052( max) I hit 1.060. I think my efficiency is higher after switching to the copper manifold from the SS braid.

On the wits I make I use .5-.75oz of coriander and usually a full once or so worth of orange peel mixed with grapefruit peel. I stopped using volume measurements a long time ago. I know Blue Moon is really toned down on the coriander and orange compared to the stuff I make and other traditional wits so you might be close with what you did.

Latest posts

Back