Blue Glass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Knittycat

Reaction score
I understand that light can skunk your beer, and that brown bottles help prevent that. I want to use the grolsch style bottles, and I know that the green glass isn't as good at filtering out the light as the brown.
I've found the grolsch style bottle in cobalt blue, and I love cobalt glass. Plus it's a great fit with what I've named my "farm" (I sell eggs from free range chickens). Sacrebleu! All my chickens are blue egg layers, so it's a fun pun.
So, how well does the blue filter out the light? Better or worse than the green? Better or worse than the brown? Anybody know?

For the sake of aesthetics and that that's your farm name, I would use them anyway and try extra hard to keep them from the sun, its really not that hard to do!

Blue eggs, Blue in the farm name, Have a nice blue bottle with nice blue Labels that say Sacreblue Free range Stout on it.

Yeah, just try harder.

You'll be fine...store them in the dark and there is almost zero chance of skunking. It takes a long time through a bottle, regardless of color. Unless you put the bottles out on your porch for a day or something. I have a ton of cobalt bottles and no issues with this.

amandabab said:
nice name, Sacreblue Free range Stout:rockin:
besides you couldn't skunk stout if you spanked a skunk with a clear bottle.

Wow the picture this paints is perfect

Back