Blowoff on my horny tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
So much innuendo in that thread title :ban: I digress...

I've got a one gallon jug that was supposed to be my first "big boy" sour (pulled off a gallon of saison after primary and pitched dregs; saison was at 1.000 going in). Well, I've decided instead to turn it into a horny tank.

Up until yesterday, it was only up to about the shoulders of the jug, lot of head space. Last night I decanted off some of the beer for a taste and gravity check. Gravity was at 0.097(!!!) and it had a nice tartness to it, some slight funk beginning, and a good bit of acetic acid, no doubt due to oxygen exposure with the ample headspace.

I added dregs I had saved from about 6 different bottles* and topped it up with fresh 1.020 wort. Full compliment of bugs, i.e., lacto, pedio, and brett. I filled it up to just below the short neck up to the mouth of the jug. Threw the airlock back on and shoved it in my cellar.

Do I need to put a blowoff on this??

I wouldn't expect very vigorous fermentation, but with so little headspace now, I worried a little. Thoughts?

*In case anyone is wondering, the dregs I added were...
Jester King RU55 + JK Provenance (initial dregs that fermented down to 0.097)
Crooked Stave Silly Cybies
JK Noble King Batch 15 (2014)
JK Wytchmaker Batch 16
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Supplication

Latest posts

Back