Blowoff on my horny tank?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TravelingLight

Reaction score
So much innuendo in that thread title :ban: I digress...

I've got a one gallon jug that was supposed to be my first "big boy" sour (pulled off a gallon of saison after primary and pitched dregs; saison was at 1.000 going in). Well, I've decided instead to turn it into a horny tank.

Up until yesterday, it was only up to about the shoulders of the jug, lot of head space. Last night I decanted off some of the beer for a taste and gravity check. Gravity was at 0.097(!!!) and it had a nice tartness to it, some slight funk beginning, and a good bit of acetic acid, no doubt due to oxygen exposure with the ample headspace.

I added dregs I had saved from about 6 different bottles* and topped it up with fresh 1.020 wort. Full compliment of bugs, i.e., lacto, pedio, and brett. I filled it up to just below the short neck up to the mouth of the jug. Threw the airlock back on and shoved it in my cellar.

Do I need to put a blowoff on this??

I wouldn't expect very vigorous fermentation, but with so little headspace now, I worried a little. Thoughts?

*In case anyone is wondering, the dregs I added were...
Jester King RU55 + JK Provenance (initial dregs that fermented down to 0.097)
Crooked Stave Silly Cybies
JK Noble King Batch 15 (2014)
JK Wytchmaker Batch 16
Russian River Consecration
Russian River Supplication

Back