Blowoff hose problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beersdeep

Reaction score
I'm a noob. Last night I brewed a Strawberry Wheat which is already exploding. This is the first experiment with fruit for me. The bucket with the blowoff hose is filled with a bit of gunk and chugging along well, but the real problem is that I have some beer leaking out from under the lid, just a few drips due to the pressure. Should I wait to switch the lid or should I change it now?

I'm afraid of contamination both ways. I'm also afraid I might not get the lid back on gracefully ( or at all).

You could wipe down the sides of the fermenter with a new cloth or sponge soaked in a sanitising solution, but this has happened to me before and the yuck on the outside dried hard before I (or anything else) could get to it. I used some tape these days to hold the lid on firm, but only as it makes cleaning easier! (still some solid chunks of would-be-dark-ale decorating the outside of my bucket :p)

With the blow off hose bucket - I've heard it mentioned here a few times that bacteria can't crawl it's way back up, and once the fermentation slows down you can always swap out the buckets contents with some fresh water/sanitiser.

If the blow off hose has some fruit stuck in it then it may be good to swap it out with a clean one, but with such a strong fermentation there will be lots of CO2, which will inhibit mould growth. I just had my first experiment with fruit, and quite a few raspberries sat on top of the beer for 3 weeks in the primary and nothing bad happened to them or the beer.

I did swap out the hose this morning because it was clogged. Everything has slowed dramatically compared to yesterday, but it's bubbling along well.

Thanks for the help.

You could wipe down the sides of the fermenter with a new cloth or sponge soaked in a sanitising solution, but this has happened to me before and the yuck on the outside dried hard before I (or anything else) could get to it. I used some tape these days to hold the lid on firm, but only as it makes cleaning easier! (still some solid chunks of would-be-dark-ale decorating the outside of my bucket :p)

With the blow off hose bucket - I've heard it mentioned here a few times that bacteria can't crawl it's way back up, and once the fermentation slows down you can always swap out the buckets contents with some fresh water/sanitiser.

If the blow off hose has some fruit stuck in it then it may be good to swap it out with a clean one, but with such a strong fermentation there will be lots of CO2, which will inhibit mould growth. I just had my first experiment with fruit, and quite a few raspberries sat on top of the beer for 3 weeks in the primary and nothing bad happened to them or the beer.

Is it a good idea to change out the sanitizer water in the bucket once or twice during fermentation regardless of if something goes wrong?

Latest posts

Back