Blow out!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lewishowardm3

Reaction score
I had a blow out today while I was at work. As my mrs discovered when she opened the cupboard door and saw foam every where! Lol. I had to talk her thru how to deal with it. Frightening as I had no control while I was at work lol. But it's all ok now. Thank god!!

why are people so resistant to use a blow off tube?

Is there a prize offered for the most blown out fermentors?

I didn't use a blow out tube because I'm new to brewing and I don't have one! I will be getting one this weekend now

I'm the opposite, I only have a blow off tube cap for my fermenter. I'm lazy and don't want to have to clean that up so I never even bought a air lock.

Im lazy too so I might just do the same thing. Having to worry about a blow out does my head in!

Was stuck in traffic today going to work and got a call from the old lady... yeah my watermelon wheat I just pitched at 6pm Monday is now violently bubbling and overflowing in the kitchen... There is now a pitbull growling at the noise it is making, and I had to talk the wife through cleaning it up, and resanitizing the air lock. Fun start to my am so far! This is my 1st go with liquid yeast. Apparently they really take a hammer to the sugars! Have only used dry yeast for the last couple of years and never had a single issue with this.

I wont even get into how I left for work 3hrs early but only got here 1.5hrs early for a client meeting in which he didnt even make his flight. Its one of those days!

Great, now I'm freaking about the saison that I brewed on Sunday. I made a starter and the fermentation took off less than two hours after I pitched. I might stop by HD on the way home from work today to pick up a blowoff tube.

Can anyone tell me what diameter tube I need to fit a three-piece airlock?

My first brew also. Caught mine just in the nick of time. From here on out i will use a blow off tube for the first 3 days.

DSCF0023.jpg

Wife just called me again at work saying the blue top was about to pop. She said there was a visible lump in it. Thankfully shes handy, and I was able to talk her through making a blow off valve lol. I had some tubing laying on the table thankfully, so I had her shove that into the airlock stopper, fill a bucket with one step, and place the tube in the bucket. I heard the thing hiss like mad when she pulled the airlock/stopper out lol.

I am just hoping all of the opening and closing today hasnt messed it up :(. I had a bottle of sanitzier there b/t the buckets she was spraying everything with as I had her piecing stuff together, so I am hoping all will be well.

At this rate that freaking wheat beer will be ready to go into the 2ndary thurs/friday lol. Ive never seen something ferment like that...

you had positive pressure so your safer. air coming out means not infected air going in. As long as the blow off equipment was sanitized your good to go.

The only thing I am not sure on was the tubing, and how she may have sanitized that. With it being positive pressure and the bubbles going out right now I should be ok, but I might take the tube off when I get home and spray some sanitizer in it just to make sure its good to go once fermetation slows and it may start seeping back.

I heard a quote today on a podcast I was listening. There are two types of brewers, those who've had a fermenter blow out and those who will. My wife has a newly painted bathroom thanks to brewing...and I even knew better, just picked the wrong (out of three) carboy to NOT have the blow-off tube on. I now have more 1" blow-off tubing. :)

I heard a quote today on a podcast I was listening. There are two types of brewers, those who've had a fermenter blow out and those who will. My wife has a newly painted bathroom thanks to brewing...and I even knew better, just picked the wrong (out of three) carboy to NOT have the blow-off tube on. I now have more 1" blow-off tubing. :)

Right on and lesson learned quick! They never tell or show you about a blow off tube. I will always practice this in future brews. Today i put the air lock on my brew after three days of blow off tube. This stuff should be stickied for new brewers.

I agree on the blow off tube sticky...

Heck I have brewed for over 6+years and I had never heard of it until I went into a watermelon beer recipe thread. I saw people talking about blow off tubes and jugs and was like meh these people must be more into brewing than I am. Must be some commercial thing or something lulz.

Even then it didnt click! Once the wife called and sent me the picture of the airlock via text I put 2 and 2 together!

In everything I have read this has never been mentioned once. Maybe its just a right of passage :mug:

amandabab said:
why are people so resistant to use a blow off tube?

Is there a prize offered for the most blown out fermentors?

No kidding! An easy step to prevent disasters. Always worth it IMO

Back