Blow off tube ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Dog

Orange whip?
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Based on what I have read. You are supposed to remove the blow off tube after active fermentation completes. Replacing them with air locks.

If I am planning on using a secondary is there really a point in doing it that way? Maybe the difference from 3-4 days to 7-10.

Maybe it is a sanitary issue. Certainly removing to blow off tube earlier makes it easier to clean. What do you guys think?

Cheers!!! :mug:

I've gone both ways - leaving it on till secondary and taking it off and putting on an airlock - and I don't think it makes a difference at all. I only take off the blowoff tube because it's easier to clean it out right after fermentation slows down than when it dries out.

i always leave mine in

blowofftube%20010.jpg

brewhead said:
i always leave mine in

blowofftube%20010.jpg

Now, that is cool... I normally just put 5g into a 6.5g carboy and use an airlock. The krausen has never gotten near the top.

In the rare isntance I did use a 6g or 5g carboy though I've fitted the mouth of the carboy snug with 1"+ tubing, but it definitely was a PITA. I will definitely think about doing this PVC blowoff now. Good idea!

u can use a regular bung that u use for the airlock. however i have found that some of my really big beers would produce a lot of flocculent and stop up the small hole.

so if you will take your step bit, turn the bung upside down, and drill out the center piece - you will then have lots of clearance for a ny flocculant and krausen. i would suggest grain alcohol for sanatizing the bung assembly as star san makes things very slippery and it will just slide out of the carboy mouth until it's dry

I leave my blowoff hooked up the whole time I'm in primary. That's about 7-14 days for me. If I for some reason don't use the blowoff, I use a rubber stopper with foil wrapped over it. I like to live on the edge :rockin:

I use a blow off tube for primary. When ready to rack to secondary, I'll remove the blow off and replace with an airlock and leave that on until packaging.

Latest posts

Back