Blow off tube into bucket of starsan resulting in rotten egg smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steadyeddie187

Reaction score
I inserted my blow off tube into the carboy the day after adding the yeast as the bubbles were slowly climbing to the top of the carboy. A couple of days later, I checked on the carboy and my bucket of starsan where the blow off tube was resting, and noticed that the starsan had a rotten egg or "sulfury" smell and all of the bubble had receded in the car boy. The starsan also had turned cloudy bordering on milky appearance. I know some sort of chemical reaction has taken place in the bucket of starsan, but should I be worried about the beer being tainted in the carboy? I have already removed the blowoff tube and replaced it with the regular air lock. Suggestions/reassurances please.

No you are fine. Fermentation is a ugly process and it never ceases to amaze me how wonderful beer can be produced from the nastiness going on in the fermenter.

Having never a herd of gassy elephants I believe I have smelled something similar. I do not remember what the yeast was but wow it was some smelly rotten fermenting going on. Beer turned out great though

The sulfur smell is most likely from the yeast you used. Usually Euro varieties. It goes away with age. The milky appearance of the dirty starsan is from microbes that got into it & died. The rest is mostly yeast krausen. No worries.:mug:
And boy you guys type fast! I was the first to respond. Y'all are on this morning!

I hope you like drinking farts!

Just kidding, don't mean to pile on here but some yeasts smell like this.
I bet you end up with a great beer.

Back