Blow off or three way?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kbrewing

Reaction score
Started my first batch of beer and it's been a blast. Literally. I've read numerous threads and have been wondering, why make a three way when the thing is just going to explode? Is a blow off valve normal when fermenting? How many of you use one? Thanks everyone your the best!

kbrewing said:
Started my first batch of beer and it's been a blast. Literally. I've read numerous threads and have been wondering, why make a three way when the thing is just going to explode? Is a blow off valve normal when fermenting? How many of you use one? Thanks everyone your the best!

Lots of folks here use a blow-off rig on every batch, just in case. I tend to monitor mine pretty closely so I just pop on on if it looks necessary.

My first beer fermented like a beast and had a krausen all the way up to the bottleneck of the carboy and the airlock was so hummed up with residue I'm lucky the whole thing didn't explode. I quickly had to sanitize a bunch of stuff and set up a quick blow off.

However this morning I'm 22hrs into a Black IPA and the krausen seems to be minimal and I'm using a 3way, so I might just hold out and check it later today to see if a blow off will be necessary.

why make a three way when the thing is just going to explode?

i almost spit coffee on the screen when i read this^!! :rocking:

i use a blow off on most every batch. if it's a beer i've done a few times with the same yeast, i may skip it. but i always watch and if it looks at all like the krausen may go up, i get a blow off on there. :mug:

I prefer using a blowoff tube. Unless I'm fermenting in a larger bucket. While primary fermenting in my 5 gal Carboy I prefer safe than sorry.

I always use a 1" blow-off tube on my batches. With my yeast starter I am usually loaded up with 5.25G in a 6G carboy and the blow off tube saves a lot of hassle. I swap it out after about 5-6 days for a 3-piece so that I can clean up the gunk from the tubing etc...

Now that is a good subject to get a lot of views on... Continuing the pun, I actually prefer to hook up a 3-way and a blowoff (not at the same time!). Use the blowoff for the 1st few days, then switch to the 3-pc after the fermentation has started to slow.

In my experience, if you have the second part you usually get the first part but the trick is having the first part and getting to the second part.

Now that is a good subject to get a lot of views on... Continuing the pun, I actually prefer to hook up a 3-way and a blowoff (not at the same time!). Use the blowoff for the 1st few days, then switch to the 3-pc after the fermentation has started to slow.

so you're saying the time to do the three way is after the blow off? :ban::ban:

corkybstewart said:
A good blowoff contains the mess, a three way just has too many ways to get out of hand.

I hear you but I think the argument is that, with careful planning, you can manage a three-way more securely if you've gotten the blow-off taken care of first. Perhaps it has to do with a release of pressure from an extremely hot "fermentating" situation, allowing a longer period of activity once you move on to the three-way?

I hear you but I think the argument is that, with careful planning, you can manage a three-way more securely if you've gotten the blow-off taken care of first. Perhaps it has to do with a release of pressure from an extremely hot "fermentating" situation, allowing a longer period of activity once you move on to the three-way?

It also is very important to keep the environment as sterile as possible. I prefer star-san for a few reasons... First, it works as a pretty good lubricant to help reduce friction on the blow-off tube. Second, it is food-safe so if a little gets sucked in, it is okay.

gavball6 said:
If you do the three way first, there is the risk of an explosive discharge requiring a lot of cleanup!

ROFL! Nice.

When I first started reading the thread I thought he meant one of those feedback devices. It's like a plastic jar, two tubes, and an air lock on top. When all that yeast, krausen and Wort/beer gets in there it will just feed back into the carboy/bucket.

Back