Blow off assembly vs airlock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

layne00

Reaction score
Quick question for the group. Is in okay to leave the blowoff tubing on my glass carboy for the entire fermentation duration or should I switch to an airlock after active fermentation is complete?

I leave my blow off on for the whole time more often than not. While it may not be the best practice I have never had a problem. I use sanitaizer for my blow off assembly and make sure there is plenty to last.

A blowoff tube is an airlock, provided it is properly assembled. I usually switch back to a regular airlock after active fermentation subsides, but just for convenience sake.

Cheers!

Thanks guys. The tube is sitting plenty deep in some sanitizer solution so that shouldn't be a problem. After active termination, I tried switching to a airlock but the Star San I sprained on the bung made it slippery and with the added pressure from fermentation it keep causing it to slip out. Ever had any issues with that?

no, never had that problem, but i've seen some people rig a blowoff by putting the bottom part of a 3-piece airlock in the drilled stopper and then attaching the blowoff tube to that. Not the best practice IMO because the airlock piece could catch chunks of kreusen and clog it.

BTW, when using a glass carboy, I'd make sure to not shove the stopper in there too hard, instead just get it snug and nothing more, in case the blowoff does clog, the pressure will blow the stopper off instead of cracking the glass.

Back