Blood orange ipa hop help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigplunkett

Reaction score
So i love blood orange ipas not 100% on what hops to add. I picked up 2 pounds last night.
I love citra but its been in all my ipas as of late so i want to skip it this round any help with other hops would be great.
5 gal
9# pilz
2# vienna
2# wheat
12 oz table sugar
Mash 149 60 min
Target 60 to 70 ibu
Im thinking 8 oz centenial and idk what else

90 min boil
60min 1oz mag
15 min 1oz cent
10min 1tbs irish moss 1tbs kdap
7min 1 oz blood orange zest
5 min 1.5 oz cent
5min 1 oz chinook
0 min 1 oz cent
Wlp 20 min 170*
3.5 oz cent 1 oz chinook
Add blood orange juice to pasturize
American ale 2 wyeast
2 oz cent dry hop

I would consider waiting to add the blood orange juice until after primary completes. I think boiling fruit juice can produce some unwanted flavors and a lot of the good flavor will ferment out, potentially. Also, freezing the juice first before adding would burst the cells for improved flavor. Agree with swapping out a dry hop for galaxy. Although I think that produces a bit more on the grapefruit side, I’m sure it’s hard to tell. When you’re thinking blood orange, you’ll taste blood orange.

So i was going to make a tincher with the rest of the zest incase i need more flavor. The juice wont be boiled ill add it at 170 with the whirpool hops.

Back