Blood orange blueberry straining question:-help me decide-First batch in three years

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floralfallon

Reaction score
So, because of birthing a wee tot and being a mom i havnt brewed in 3 years, yesterday i went dumpster diving and found 5lbs of perfect blood oranges and 3lbs of organic blueberries and last week we were cleaning the shed and found THE BREW BOX in its dusty long lost glory....... so maturally i wanted to brew them right away ( also lets face it toddlers can push u to drink) . Im rough so heres my dusty plan after my 3 year hiatus....
5lbs blood oranges
3lbs organic blueberries
3 lemons
1lb locally sorced honey
1 1/2lb white sugar
1campden tablet crushed
1/2tsp pectic enzyme
1tsp yeast nutrient
1/2tsp yeast energizer
D47 yeast
Ill use bentonite for fining

Blended the oranges and blueberries and added water to make a gallon and boiled it adding honey and sugar after boil, let sit overnight
Came back and added yeast nutrient,
Yeast energizer,campden tablet
Let sit 3 hours
Came back and added pectic enzyme
Let sit an hour
Came back and hydrated the yeast, pitched the yeast and set the lid on it

Question..... after my 2-3 days before the carboy should i filter through a pillowcase to get most of the pulps out or leave it in?
Im excited and nervous
Being rusty i forgot to check my gravity *homer simpson dughowwwww*

IF U HAVE ANY INPUT ON RECIPES OR ANYTHING PLEASE LET ME KNOW
I need the constructive critique

Sounds like a good fruit recipe. I haven't made anything with orange (yet) but Jack Kellar's site cautions that the pith can make the wine bitter. That would say you would be best to strain sooner rather than later.

Pillowcase would probably work but cheesecloth over a metal strainer might give better results. Sounds good either way. Cheers!

If it's not too late - I'd find something a bit less tightly woven than a pillowcase, so you don't strain out lots of the yeast just when it's really getting going. Also from my experience the pulp will clog up the fabric.

Next time, I highly recommend getting a mesh bag to contain the pulp. The first batch I did was blackberry, and to save money I tried to strain it from primary to secondary via a tea-towel in a colander. It was very messy and inefficient, and the kitchen looked like a vampire had thrown up...

Nice going with the dumpster diving by the way! So much perfectly good stuff gets thrown out.

Latest posts

Back