Blood Orange Belgian Petite Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwistedGray

El Jefe Brewing Company
Reaction score
Thought I would share my variation of Northern Brewer's Petite Saison (https://www.northernbrewer.com/petite-saison-d-ete-extract-kit). You can pull their recipe from the site, but my changes are below.

1. Added a quarter cup of honey (needed to free up cupboard space) and one and a half cups of brown sugar during the heating process and just before steeping grains.

2. At the beginning of the 60-minute boil I added one cup of red grapefruit juice (juiced them myself) and the pulp from 10 blood oranges (the juice is reserved for secondary). Pulp went into a muslin bag.

3. At the 30 minute mark I added 1.5 cups of cubed and frozen unripe yellow mangoes (fresh from the store), also in a muslin bag. I don't anticipate any mango flavor coming through, but I am hoping some of the sourness of the mangoes find their way into the beer...we'll see.

4. I moved step 4 to the 20 minute mark (ie: 20 minutes left of the boil).

I am fermenting at about 60-65° with a single pack of Danstar's Belle Saison yeast.

My OG was 1.054 and my estimated FG should be around 1.0125 depending on what this yeast does. I am shooting for something around 5% ABV +/- 1%. We'll see where it ends.

IBU was calculated at 25
SRM was calculated at 6.74
I know the blood orange will have some impact on the color so I'm not all that confident in the SRM calculation. My guess is that it'll carry a pink color.

Post fermentation I'll rack into a secondary and pour in that blood orange juice and leave it for another 1-2 weeks before bottling.

Note: It's the one in the middle. It doesn't look as pretty as the left one because I just moved everything from my colder garage to the house which is also quite cold (no insulation, dozens of single pane windows, this place is always cold). We're pretty good at keeping the house temps under 65° primarily because I'd go broke otherwise.

IMG_20180306_125809.jpg

Saison without additional blood orange other than what was brewed with.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180327173642615_COVER.jpg

Saison with additional blood orange...slightly darker, but it could just be the lighting. This was just a splash of blood orange tincture added to see how I felt about it. I like it ... wife prefers without because she's not a orange zest fan.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20180327175215603_COVER.jpg

Looks great! Makes me itching for getting back into brewing once my garage is cleaned up from the move, just in time for saison season!

And did the mango flavour or acidity come through? Considering doing this but with apple juice or simply some Lactic Acid to help a cherry saison get a bit of bite to the flavour.

Looks great! Makes me itching for getting back into brewing once my garage is cleaned up from the move, just in time for saison season!

And did the mango flavour or acidity come through? Considering doing this but with apple juice or simply some Lactic Acid to help a cherry saison get a bit of bite to the flavour.

The mango fruit addition didn't seem to have any impact; however, it was not much. You really have to pack a lot of fruit into beer to get anything in return, in my experience.

Careful with the apple juice; you're going to bump your ABV a bit.

Back