NB’s La Petite Orange Belgium Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Architect-Dave

Architect & Fledgling Home Brewer (5-Mana Brewing)
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am getting my all-grain La Petite Orange dubbel recipe kit this week (Wyeast 3738 Trappist High Gravity yeast). They mention adding some crushed coriander seeds and the zest of 2 oranges to make a Blanche. Anyone make this kit before with or without the optional additions? I am curious to know so i can approach this coming weekend’s brew session prepared. Part of me wants to stick to the base recipe and part of me wants to make the additions. I do not have the equipment or space to break the reipe into two batches to make one one way and the other the other way.

I brewed this beer many years ago and I did not use all those additions. It turned out just fine. I don't recall the kit I used but looking at an example from Northern Brewer the instructions state, "you may wish to add".

I'd go with the base recipe for your upcoming brew and if you like those results try it another time with the suggested additions. I think you're going to get some great flavors from the base recipe itself.

I brewed this beer many years ago and I did not use all those additions. It turned out just fine. I don't recall the kit I used but looking at an example from Northern Brewer the instructions state, "you may wish to add".

I'd go with the base recipe for your upcoming brew and if you like those results try it another time with the suggested additions. I think you're going to get some great flavors from the base recipe itself.
I agree…then someone else is going to say ‘Yeah, I made it with the additions and it came out great”…and I will be at square one again.

My thought is for the first attempt at a recipe, I'd rather first try a recipe without additions. Not knowing the kit you are using but since I've brewed dubbel before I like the flavors they have on their own. From the Northern site I looked at their description and I'd want just those flavors and not extra additions to cover up the base flavors. Other than what the yeast provides, the tropical breezes I could do without.

Either way I'm sure you'd be OK.

1676293561906.png

My thought is for the first attempt at a recipe, I'd rather first try a recipe without additions. Not knowing the kit you are using but since I've brewed dubbel before I like the flavors they have on their own. From the Northern site I looked at their description and I'd want just those flavors and not extra additions to cover up the base flavors. Other than what the yeast provides, the tropical breezes I could do without.

Either way I'm sure you'd be OK.

View attachment 812557
Done - thanks. I am going to go ‘stock’ on this one and see how it turns out As is. thanks for the responses!

Back