Blonde Ale recipe critique, please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
This is what I'm brewing this weekend:

3 lbs Wheat LME
3 lbs Extra Pale LME
2 lbs Clover Honey

.8 oz Crystal 10L(steeped 45 min @ 160)
.8 oz Honey Malt(same)

1 oz Cascade 60 min.
.8 oz Cluster 15 min.

1 oz Irish Moss 15 min.

White Labs California Ale Yeast w/starter

Add gelatin to secondary as well.

Any comments on what I can expect. I'm wanting a light summer ale. I'm trying to work my way into a house ale recipe for my "Honey Hole Ale".

I think it will be pretty good, should definitely be a good summer beer.

My thoughts:
--Add most of the extract late (search for "late extract additions" for help there), this will help keep the color light.
--Do the same with the honey, don't even boil it.
--I might be convinced to move the Cascade to a later addition, I enjoy the flavor/aroma of Cascade and always cringe when I see it being used at 60minutes.
--It will be nice and dry with the WLP001 and the honey.

Looks a little strong and a tad on the dark side for a blonde, but it looks like it would make a delicious honey pale ale.

Looks a little strong and a tad on the dark side for a blonde, but it looks like it would make a delicious honey pale ale.

According to Beersmith, which doesn't have an Extra Pale LME, with the Pale LME it's just .6 above the blonde ale style. I'm hoping with a late addition and the Extra Pale will cause it to fall into the guidelines.

Unless you are entering it into a competition, I wouldn't sweat it that much. I am sure it will taste great no matter what you call it. :mug:

Seems like a nice beer but if you really care, call it an American Wheat beer. I think a blonde would be more like 99% pale malt.

My SG and SRM's are way too high for an American Wheat. Guess I just won't enter it into any competitions.

Latest posts

Back