Blissfully Child-Free

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand the point you are trying to make, but the situations are not analogous. The husband chose to marry a handicapped woman. Nobody chooses to have a mentally disabled child.

Advances in genetic screening over the last decade have proven this to be false. People do have a choice these days. And many choose to proceed.

I for one am avidly awaiting the time the thread reverts to photoshopped images of censored feet.

censored-feet.jpg

The most entertaining thing on this site is reading the first and then the last post on a long random thread.....How the hell do they stray so far.

Had a couple child-free friends visit us for the weekend for the craft beer festival in town last weekend. They drove down Friday night, we sampled a bunch of craft beers and devised an ad-hoc recipe for a Pale Ale. Saturday morning, I brewed 10 gallons of the pale ale (5 each) with the husband while the girls went shopping. Then we BBQ'd some burgers for lunch, and headed out to the festival. Stumbled back home that evening, met up with more mutual friends and hung out Saturday night. Sunday morning, slept in, then made a nice breakfast and watched "John Wick" with them before they headed back home.

We've got a lot of stuff planned in the next few weekends, things that would be more difficult or impossible if we had kids. Still enjoying the child-free life. :)

Speaking of which, I was planning on starting a "Blissfully unmarried" thread, but then I remembered that will cease to be true for me in a few months.

Damned tricksy woman.

I have completely unused, spare bedrooms if you need to run away.. rent is 2 cases of Dankosaurus per month.

She could probably lift 50 lbs with the forklift.. no guarantees on how well the driving goes though....

She could probably lift 50 lbs with the forklift.. no guarantees on how well the driving goes though....

She sucks at driving. Put her on my lap in the Olds for a cruise around the block and she didn't understand the concept of hand-over-hand for tight turns.

I told her that she could probably do it easier with one hand, but she kept them locked at 10 and 2. She's never seen me do that, so she must be watching her mom white-knuckle all around town while riding people's asses and slamming on her brakes and flipping off elderly folks.

We don't have to worry about whether or not we'll roll the dice and end up with a "problem" child (autism, Down's, deformities, allergies, or just plain aggressive/violent/disobedient).
My son has autism and we prefer the word "special"

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of which, I was planning on starting a "Blissfully unmarried" thread, but then I remembered that will cease to be true for me in a few months.

Damned tricksy woman.

After you get blissfully married you an get blissfully divorced if you stay blissfully child free.

Moderator reminder: no name calling.

For those who are choosing to not have children, please be thoughtful about how you refer to children generally as well as children with autism and other special children. Think about who will be reading it (the parents of those special children).

Had another great child-free weekend last weekend. A couple of equally child-free friends came into town to stay with us for the weekend. The husband is also a beer aficionado and novice homebrewer, so we spent Friday night drinking beer and playing games. We slept in a little on Saturday, then brewed 2 batches of beer (5 gallons of Baltic Porter and 10 gallons of an IPA). Saturday night, I guided them through a beer-and-cheese tasting (the wife is trying to foster an interest in craft beer), then made a nice steak dinner and watched a movie. Sunday morning, more sleeping in, then I made some eggs Benedict to fill their bellies before they went back home to their kitties. I played a squash match, caught up on some shows on the PVR, then called it a weekend.

Last weekend was a little less exciting than the previous one, as I had to take it easy after Friday's "snip" procedure. Laid around, watched a bunch of movies and Netflix, drank some beer, played Magic: The Gathering with a friend. Would have been beautiful weather to brew, but I'm not supposed to lift anything heavy for the first week.

How was your guys' weekends? Got any plans for the upcoming long weekend?

Oh, it's just not a paid holiday for most companies (mine included :( ). We're a bunch of suckers in the US and don't get many paid holidays.

Hmm, that sucks. Up here in the Great White North, I think pretty much everybody gets the Friday off, and us government workers additionally get the Monday off, too. I'm looking at a 4-day weekend.

Hmm, that sucks. Up here in the Great White North, I think pretty much everybody gets the Friday off, and us government workers additionally get the Monday off, too. I'm looking at a 4-day weekend.

Same. Having the folks over for dinner Friday, going to a sugar patch with SWMBO and her parents Saturday, no idea what's going on Sunday, and then brewing a black IPA, drinking beer, and having a cigar on Monday.

If the weather turns out nice and gets rid of the crap that's coming this week... some motorcycle time will be tossed in there also.

I'm a pseudo state employee, and get no time off for Easter, either. We're weird about that birthday thing here in the US. You only get one of them, especially if you want a national holiday made from it (them). The second one gets no respect.

I'm fairly certain nobody will be moving on Friday, (or will be unwilling to pay for the stat overtime if they are), so I'll find out on thursday if i'm working the friday.

If all goes well, I'll also have the Monday off :)

I'll have to dodge all the dinner invites between those two days to catch up on much needed rest.

Back