Blingman beer gun + counter pressure stopper?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephelton

Reaction score
I've been doing a better job with my bottling from keg since investing in a beer gun, but I still can't get high carbeb beers to bottle effectively. The only way I've ever been able to do this effectively was to use a ghetto contraption made up of a bottling wand, picnic tap, and a stopper to keep pressure in the bottle as I filled it. It worked, but was messy and ugly. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with the same technique applied to a beer gun for high carb beers (up near 3.5 volumes of co2 or so).

I'm not getting excessive foaming, and I try to get the bottles to be approximately the same temp as the beer itself.

I use a beergun to bottle a few to bring with me I also use it to fill growlers. What kind of foam are you getting? There will always be some foaming, I have bottled a Belgian around 3.5, with no troubles.

It works best when the bottles are cold and the beer is cold. The colder the better as less co2 will come out of solution.

Yes, colder is better. But, I also would recommend you increase your CO2 psi a couple of points a couple of days before you bottle too. The CO2 in the beer is going to want to equalize with the head space. By bumping up the pressure before bottling you can help this not be so detrimental. Also, try to keep the head space at a minimum.

I kind of gave up on my counter pressure filler after making a huge mess and wasting beer that foamed and spilled everywhere. After posting on here about my troubles a lot of people told me to try a longer beer line going from the keg to the filler, and that would help to keep the beer in solution. Perhaps try a longer beer line than you would normally use with your lower CO2 beers. I have not tried it with my CPF yet but I recently changed to longer lines on my kegerator and it solved my foaming problems.

My beer line is already pretty long. I try to keep the bottles cold, I keg the beer at serving temp (39F), and I cap within 60 seconds or so.

Instead of trying any counter pressure techniques, I'll recruit an assistant so I can cap immediately after filling. And I'll also put the bottles in the freezer so they'll be a bit cooler by the time they are used.

I sure hope it works... it really sucks to ruin a batch of beer by losing all the co2...

Latest posts

Back