Blichmann-style Bulkheads Made Easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfowler1

Reaction score
...maybe easy is the wrong word. Usually I subscribe to "if it's not broke, don't fix it", but when I found my old plated bulkhead completely rusted 2 hours before brewday, I knew it was time for a switch.

I recently rebuilt all of my bulkheads from stainless fittings in the Blichmann style. I thought I would share the design (as read at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/).

A quick disclaimer, measure twice; order once, when buying from Mcmaster. This project was a lot of trail, error, and spare parts, but the below items worked for me. Hopefully my record keeping is correct, and the design will work for you too.

From what I read, Blichmann uses a bulkhead design that rests a thick high temp o-ring INSIDE a slightly thinner stainless shim on the outside of his weldless fittings, and uses a locknut on the INSIDE of his products to "pull" the fitting/ball valve against the vessel, compressing the o-ring enough to seal, but leaving you unable to over-tighten and ruin the o-ring. In other words, you can only compress the o-ring to the thickness of the Shim; enough to seal, not enough to crush/contort.

There is a great picture of what I awkwardly explained at the above website, but the gentlemen gave part #'s for a 1" conversion, leaving me to figure out 1/2" and 3/4" conversions myself.

The design is as follows (from outside the kettle->in)

(for 1/2")
SS Barb/QD/Etc with 1/2 male threads
1/2 SS Ball Valve/or whatever fitting you are trying to set.
1/2xClose Nipple
Small SS Shim (to compress against o-ring, because the diameter of the BV is too small to grab it) - Mcmaster 98126A706 - .048 Thick, 1"ID, 1-1/2"OD
Large SS Shim - Mcmaster 98126A803 - .09 Thick, 1-1/8"ID, 1-5/8" OD
High Temp Silicone O-ring (actually sits inside Larger Shim) - Mcmaster 9396K32 - 13/16" ID, 1/8 width, 1-1/16 OD
Kettle/MLT/HLT Wall
Small SS Shim (to protect inside wall from the torque of the lock nut) - Mcmaster 98126A706 (Same as Small Shim Above)
1/2 SS locknut - I bought from Bargain Fittings . com, very happy with speed of service, and it seems one of the few places to get SS Locknuts at a decent price.

(for 3/4")
1/2 MPT SS Barb/QD/Etc
3/4x1/2 SS Bushing
3/4 SS Ball Valve
3/4xclose SS Nipple
Small SS Shim - Mcmaster - 98126A803 - .09" thick, 1-1/8" ID, 1-5/8" OD (Again, the valve's diameter is too small to pinch down on the o-ring, so I needed a second shim to do the compressing against the o-ring. In the design at the electric brewery website, the gentelman was using a large electric box to do the "o-ring compressing" so diameter was not a factor)
Large SS Shim - Mcmaster - 98126A809 - .09" thick, 1-3/8" ID, 1-7/8" OD
High Temp Silicone O-Ring (once again, this actually sits inside large shim) Mcmaster - 9396K32 - 1" ID, 1/8" Width, 1-1/4" OD
Kettle/MLT/HLT Wall
Inside Shim - Mcmaster - 98126A430 - 1-1/8"ID , 1-5/8" OD, .008" thick (I bought this super thin so that it could flex and would not take up too much prescious space on the nipple. The more thread on the inside, the easier it is to attach a coupling/reducing coupling for manifolds, dip tubes, etc.)
3/4 SS Locknut - once again, from BargainFittings.com

The main factors to keep in mind are that the OD of the o-ring has to be less than the ID of the Large shim, and the ID of smaller shim has to be less than the OD of the o-ring. That sentence gave me a headache.

I like this design for a few reasons.
1.) fool proof. The 1/8" (.125) thick o-ring is carefully selected to be thicker than the .09" thick shim. The difference is enough to create a seal, but not enough to over-tighten and ruin the seal.
2.) Stainless - It looks nice, it lasts forever, and you have no issues with dis-similar metals.

Good Luck,
Joe

As far as I can read, Blichmann style seems to be the best way to seal weldless.

The O-ring is seated inside a washer/shim and is compressed between the SS wall of your pot and a locknut or thermometer nut or whatever.

I am planning to go this route but your post makes me about 2 things:

1) I think most people are using a 1/16" shim but I think that you may be right. I am reading that as a design guide an o-ring should be compressed 10% to 40%. For an 1/8" o-ring, this means that the large washer/ shim that the o-ring sits inside should be between 0.11 inches thick and 0.075 inches thick. A 1/16" washer (0.0625") is not thick enough.

2) Why are people buying grooved locknuts if they are nesting their o-rings inside of washers? If your locknut has a groove you will throw off the compression of the o-ring. Isn't this a better choice? http://www.mcmaster.com/#stainless-steel-pipe-fittings/=9ruey3

You wrote the o-ring part number for the 3/4" setup wrong.

9396K35 is the 1" x 1 1/4" O-Ring.

I've been going over these designs in some detail, and this post was both helpful and raised a few questions.

First, isn't there actual a change between your design and the one described on kal's The Electric Brewery? I'm looking at http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/hot-liquor-tank?page=6 for example. He shows all the same pieces you described, but has the locknut as outermost piece of the assembly, right next to the ball valve. Was that an intentional change? Can someone with a Blichmann jump in and explain how he actually does it?

Second, this doesn't seem to be the design being sold by places like http://weldlessfittings.com/kettlefittings.html or http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=44_35_46&product_id=91. There are lots of ways to get things done (and if you look closely, you'll notice that those two sites also differ on whether the locknut goes inside or outside) but I'm basically wondering if anyone has had experiences with the various options and ended up in favor of one design or another.

I do not think that it matters if the locknut is on the inside or the outside. I think that the main thing is that per this sealing concept, the o-ring is on the outside, it should be tightened by something that does not rotate against the o-ring.

Now for the shim size, I think that most use the wrong size.
Hopefully this illustration works:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/53391072@N05/5189828813/
5189828813_1ba75c588d_s.jpg

In this image:
Dn= the diameter of the nipple. I read the following Diameters for these NPT sizes: 1/4" - 0.54", 3/8" - 0.675", 1/2" - 0.84", 3/4" - 1.05
Rt= the thickness of the O-Ring
GW= The Gap Width. This is recommended by industry to be 1.5 times the thickness of the Ring
Ds_inner = Inner Diameter of Shim
Ds_outer = Outer Diameter of Shim

Now assuming we are using a 1/8" thick o-ring and a 1/2" NPT shaft, Dn = 0.84", Gw = 1.5*Rt = 1.5*0.125 = 0.1875" and for the large shim, it should have a minimum diameter of Dn + 2*Gw = 0.84+2*0.1875 = 1.215".

With the 1+1/8" inner diameter shim, the o-ring only has the ability to compress by 14%

Doing a quick check, using the Thickness of the shim to be 0.09", I get the area that the o-ring rests in to be =0.09*(Ds_inner/2-Dn/2) = 0.01283 sq inches for the 1+1/8 inner diameter shim.
The area of the o-ring is pi*r^2 = 3.14* 0.125^2 = 0.0122 sq inches.
So the o-ring can be compressed into the slot between the shim and the shaft but it absolutely fills the entire space.

I think that we should be using a 1+1/4" inner diameter shim. This will give enough space for it to expand properly. Unfortunately I am not a sealing expert but am only trying to apply what I am reading through efunda and other places...

I did receive and install two of the NEW weldless kits from Bargain Fittings and can recommend them highly. Obviously simple, easy to install, and leak-proof on the first try.

I did receive and install two of the NEW weldless kits from Bargain Fittings and can recommend them highly. Obviously simple, easy to install, and leak-proof on the first try.

+1

The fitting kits with the soldered bulkheads are quite nice.

The soldered bulkheads, IMHO, are leaps and bounds better than any non-soldered version. I'm impressed with the pricing that bargainfittings has on the soldered versions simply because I do build them that way for myself and any friends that need bulkheads but I hesitate doing it on a broad scale for sale. I've done it both However, what it costs in labor to build likely saves even more on post sale "leak" support, hypothetically. I have figured out how to solder a whole bunch of these at a time so we'll see.

Bobby,

I have almost zero email questions on the standard bulkheads with locknuts for kegs and kettles.

I do get a few for coolers with locknuts but even the majority of those are questions on which nipple length.

Thanks! They do make for an easy install.

Do you have any pictures of the installed bulkheads?

I do have a few, but mine are in a cooler - not sure if that derails the thread too much or not.

bf_weldless.jpg

*EDIT*

It's kinda hard to see with the coupler on there but basically that's all there is to it. Washer is soldered to the nipple and as you pull that through, you're pushing the large red silicone o-ring against the inside wall. The outside of mine has two shim washers and then a 2 piece ball valve.

Another option. I had a couple leaky fittings, probably due to an overly compressed o ring. I swapped th silicone o ring for a flat silicone washer, and my weld less connections are rock solid. That being said, the blichmann solution looks good too,

Back