Blichmann pot recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybird

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a newbie homebrewer looking to go all-grain. Have done four 5 gal. batches, but now looking to go to about 12 gal. batches. What size Blichmann Boilermakers would be most correct Mash/HLT/ Boil kettles for this size? Thanks.

I use 20 gallon BK/15 gallon MT/15 gallon HLT for 12 gallon batches. If you brew a big higher gravity batch and you buy the 20 gallon false bottom along with the BK, then you can use the 20 as your MT and do around 35 pound mashes. I typically do not do this, but it's nice to have the option in a pinch.

I also have a smaller 15 gallon Spike BK for 6 gallon batches as that fits my brew frame nicely. I use the Blichmann 15/15 along with the Spike. I am totally satisfied with my arrangement.

That's exactly what I did! I bought the 20 gal. with the false bottom to use it for both the mash tun and the boil kettle. Now that it's arrived I started to wonder whether I shouldn't have bought the false bottom, since this size mash tun might cause a too-shallow grain bed for my most commonly used batch sizes. Like I said, I want to mainly brew 12-13 gallon batches. I guess I could return the false bottom, and just use the pot for my BK. Then maybe get the 15 gal. for use as my MT. Just hate to have to spend all that $ right away. Maybe I should just get a Spike 20 gal. for HLT, and keep the Blichmann. Do you think it would make a big difference? Oh, and thanks very much for replying to my initial query.

Congrats on your purchase. I prefer the Blichmann over Spike for HLT and MT as you have the sight glasses so it is easier to measure into. You don't really need this for a BK unless you are concerned with brewhouse efficiency calculations.

I understand your concern with cost but you can always spread it out over time. I bought all my pots one at a time in order to spread the costs out...

Latest posts

Back