Blichmann burner regulator freezing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supermoth

Reaction score
Hi all… I just got my propane tank refilled and I think they overfilled it a bit. I'm having a problem keeping my Blichmann burner going. The regulator gets frosty and after a few minutes the pressure goes down and then out. I switched out the tank with the one that was on my BBQ and that one works fine . Does anyone have any idea on how I can get through this? The BBQ tank probably won't last me the whole brew. Thanks in advance!

Set up a garden hose to trickle water over the tank and valve?

Cheers!

I actually fired up the BBQ to try to use up some of the excess gas in that overfull tank. My BBQ regulator has no problems freezing up. Does anyone else have issues with the Blichmann regulator being super touchy? Their website has nothing in the way of troubleshooting help.

Your BBQ reg is likely a fixed pressure unit. Not the same inside.

I've been running a pair of Blichmann burners with their regs for ~4 years and mine are the opposite of touchy - they've always been quite well behaved. If you're getting the same behavior on both tanks I'd be concerned, but if it's only on the overfilled tank I'd consider that an out of scope issue...

Cheers!

Your BBQ reg is likely a fixed pressure unit. Not the same inside.

I've been running a pair of Blichmann burners with their regs for ~4 years and mine are the opposite of touchy - they've always been quite well behaved. If you're getting the same behavior on both tanks I'd be concerned, but if it's only on the overfilled tank I'd consider that an out of scope issue...

Cheers!

Thanks for your comment. Hopefully I can burn down enough propane on the bbq to satisfy the Blichmann when I switch back the tank.

I know a lot of people in the blacksmithing community who use propane set their tanks in a tub of water, it helps keep the temperature of the propane from getting too cold too quickly. Propane forges use a lot more propane than a home brew burner. Not sure if it will help but couldn't hurt. Freezing it typically more of an issue with a empty tank than a full one.
Also it should be impossible to overfill a propane tank. A law made it required that all tanks have a over fill prevention device. (still have one old tank I can't get rid of, or don't want to pay to get rid of)

I know a lot of people in the blacksmithing community who use propane set their tanks in a tub of water, it helps keep the temperature of the propane from getting too cold too quickly. Propane forges use a lot more propane than a home brew burner. Not sure if it will help but couldn't hurt. Freezing it typically more of an issue with a empty tank than a full one.
Also it should be impossible to overfill a propane tank. A law made it required that all tanks have a over fill prevention device. (still have one old tank I can't get rid of, or don't want to pay to get rid of)

It was just the regulator and hose freezing, not the tank itself.

I also thought it was impossible to overfill a tank, but I saw the gauge click to 5.25 gallons, which would be 22lbs. Maybe their gauge is a little off.

I've only used the Blichmann burner about 5 or 6 times now, so I'm still getting a feel for its personality, so to speak. It's been touchier than I expected. It sure is efficient though! I got through a whole a brew day on what I thought was a mostly empty tank.

It was just the regulator and hose freezing, not the tank itself.

I also thought it was impossible to overfill a tank, but I saw the gauge click to 5.25 gallons, which would be 22lbs. Maybe their gauge is a little off.

I've only used the Blichmann burner about 5 or 6 times now, so I'm still getting a feel for its personality, so to speak. It's been touchier than I expected. It sure is efficient though! I got through a whole a brew day on what I thought was a mostly empty tank.

I was going to ask if you were using something bigger than the 5 gal tank like a 7gal industrial tank.

The OPD float could be damaged and did not shut the flow off at the correct volume.

I was going to ask if you were using something bigger than the 5 gal tank like a 7gal industrial tank.

The OPD float could be damaged and did not shut the flow off at the correct volume.

Nope just a standard 5 lb tank that I recently received in exchange at Home Depot for an old beater tank I had. This is the first time I've gotten it refilled. I'll just burn down some gas and see what it does after that. It'll probably be fine, and if not, at least I'll know what to expect and to have some good backup plan.

Got Pics? Regulator and hose freezing?
I'd like to see pics of each burner flame with the tanks.

No pics, but a few words: frosty condensation on reg and hose, flames mostly normal but yellow and licky if I turned it up too high.

Latest posts

Back