Blichmann beer gun problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadRabbit

Reaction score
I have been having problems bottling from a keg using a Blichmann beer gun. The beer gasses in the line no matter what level of carbonation the beer is at, and I'm getting sick of wasting beer due to foaming in the bottle. I am only using around 3 or 4 lbs of co2 to push the beer from the keg, but I alway have half a line of foam between bottle fills.
Everything is cold: the bottles, the keg, and the line.
The only time I had any success was when the beer was under carbonated.
The line that came with the accessory kit is about 4 feet.

Any suggestions?

I have read the trouble shooting page on the Blichmann web site, which points to over carbonation, but that doesn't seem to be it.

A longer line for the beer from the keg to the beergun would probably help, similar to serving draft beer. You could also try purging the line out at higher pressures then reducing the psi. Check all your clamps and connections as well to make sure no pressure is escaping or oxygen entering.

am not familiar with the beer gun (I'm spoiled)... but on my Melvico bottler, if the beer is over-carbed, better matching of the beer-pressure is the only way to stop initial foaming (or negate the foaming in the bottle).. TRY upping the co2 pressure while bottling.

SLOWLY DOES IT when filling the bottle!!!! AND YES THAT MEANS... 45-60 secs to fill a bottle if it's over-carbed

Did you burp the keg before you tried to bottle? You have to let out the pressure from the keg.

Yes, I always burp the keg and reset to lower pressure before bottling.

I have read that the beer line should be much longer than the 4 foot that is sold with the kit, and I should check the ball valve connection for possible leaks. I have replaced the o-rings on the valves which should eliminate that, but perhaps there is a leak somewhere allowing air into the line.

The line that comes with the gun is 10 ft long - that's the one you should use for beer. The line that comes with the accessory kit is a 5 ft line with flare connectors for the gas side.

The line that comes with the gun is 10 ft long - that's the one you should use for beer. The line that comes with the accessory kit is a 5 ft line with flare connectors for the gas side.

Ahhh, that makes sense. Will be trying a longer line next.

Bottled up a batch today with a 10 ft line. Worked great! Thanks for the help:)

Has anyone bottled beer with a 50L keg seems to foam way more than 19 corny keg. Would longer line help? Bigger keg longer line? No dramas with the 19L. Have kept 40psi for 48hrs to carbonate, cold king browns etc.
Cheers

Back