Blew bubbles in wort... Oops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

igvandeventer

Reaction score
So I was taking a sample to check the gravity (I have one of those big metal turkey baster deals) and accidentally squeezed while it was in the wort. It has been fermenting for 3 days.

Did I just do some major damage to my batch or can I breathe easy?

How far along?

Before adding the yeast it would be a good thing.

If at FG it was not the best, but I doubt that caused any problem at all. IMO not enough oxygen to make a difference.

How far along?

Before adding the yeast it would be a good thing.

If at FG it was not the best, but I doubt that caused any problem at all. IMO not enough oxygen to make a difference.

OG was 1.076. Gravity when I took the sample was 1.043.

I've made worse mistakes than that, and while I'm still new to this I've never ruined nor infected any of the 20+ batches I've brewed. Relax.

OG was 1.076. Gravity when I took the sample was 1.043.

So it is far from final gravity. The addition of oxygen at this point will actually help the yeast.

I would not say that it is a good idea for something to do, unless you are sure about the fermentation.

There are situations where a second aeration is best but it is not a standard procedure.

That's all. You are fine. Heck oxygenation is tough. I have not had issues with oxygen even with fairly big mistakes like bung blowing off and being off for 2 days while I was gone. Of course I use english yeast a lot of the time so maybe it is hidden

That's nothing. The other day when I bottled my first batch in 10 years, my auto siphon decided to start pulling air while draining into the bottling bucket. I spent a while letting it just do it until I realized the potential result of what was happening. Now I'm likely to have wet cardboard beer. Knucklehead me probably ruined a good batch of beer.

One little spurt from a baster isn't going to do anything. Just don't do it everyday. :)

Back