Blending Crystal Malts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonmandave

Reaction score
While at a homebrew shop the other day, I wasn't quite sure which grains I wanted to leave with. Its a few hours' drive to a HBS, so I try to leave very well stocked. Lately, I've been trying to keep my recipes fairly simple (usually 3 grains in the grist). Much easier to troubleshoot.

The manager recommended I buy a couple pounds of C90 and a couple of C15. Basically said by blending them, I can create any degree of crystal in between. Has anyone else tried this?

While at a homebrew shop the other day, I wasn't quite sure which grains I wanted to leave with. Its a few hours' drive to a HBS, so I try to leave very well stocked. Lately, I've been trying to keep my recipes fairly simple (usually 3 grains in the grist). Much easier to troubleshoot.

The manager recommended I buy a couple pounds of C90 and a couple of C15. Basically said by blending them, I can create any degree of crystal in between. Has anyone else tried this?

Well, it doesn't really work that way. I mean, .5 pound of 90L and .5 pound of 15L might give you the color of 1 pound of 50L, but not the flavor.

The flavor of 15L is sweet and caramel like. The flavor of 90L is burnt raisiny/toffee. Mixing them together is great, and gives a "layer" of flavor, but won't equal crystal 60L which is has no raisin character to it.

Still, for things like American ambers, "layering" the crystal malts is a great way to provide depth to the grainbill.

I had a feeling that was the case. I had a feeling it was color OR flavor that I could get, not both. Thanks Yoop.

I had a feeling that was the case. I had a feeling it was color OR flavor that I could get, not both. Thanks Yoop.

If it's color and flavor you're after, and you've got enough flavor to mask it, look into dehusked/debittered black malt. It's either 300L or 500L, so a little bit will go a long way *without too much impact to flavor.

That won't get you specific flavors of certain grains, but if you're looking for C20 flavor and C120 color it should cover you.

*Note: If you're brewing something delicate, the roasted flavor can still creep through. I do this for things like ESB where i want the color and a hint of roastiness, but no black malt bitterness.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back