Blending big IPAs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottland

Reaction score
Has anyone been down this road before?

I brewed a Dogfish 120min clone a few months ago. Tonight I was struggling to get through 12oz of it, so I blended it 50/50 with a super hoppy, super dry DIPA (think: pliny) that I have on tap right now :eek:. Wow.

You get the heavy malt and candied raisin-like flavors from the 120min with the monster citrus hop aroma and flavor from the DIPA, I seriously can't believe I didn't think of this before.

It totally sounds like sacrilege, but if you have a bottle of 120min and a bottle of Pliny kicking around, blend like 2oz of each and tell me what you think.

Anyone else tried this?

I have several bottles of an IPA Brut (champagne style). Since they are a couple years old, the hop nose is gone leaving the mother of all bitters. It mixes well with a big hoppy beer.

I wanted to try making an IPA with all-New Zealand hops and another using fresh, locally grown Centennial's. I was just starting to do PM's, and on the first one I undershot my OG by about 10 points. It wound up grossly bitter. On the second, I overshot my OG by at least 20 points, wound up at about 1.085. Not surprisingly, there weren't nearly enough hops to cut into that much sugar. So I have a bitter, 5% IPA and a soda-sweet 8.5% IIPA.

Blended together, they are fantastic.

Back