Blending Belgian yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
So I have before me the latest Zymurgy (Sept/Oct) issue. I admittedly am a Belgian style beer nut and I'm looking at the Maltose Falcons recipe 30th anniversary Hashell 10 (Belgian dark strong). The yeast is a blend of three Belgian Wyeast strains; 3724 Saison, 3787 Trappist high gravity and, 3655 Belgian Schelde ale. It has peeked my interest to try blending Belgian strains. Anybody have some heavenly blends they care to share or blends that were disastrous? Looking at any style Belgian.

So far my only blend of yeasts has been Wyeast 3724 Belgian Saison and East Coast Yeast ECY05 Brett Brux. It's still in secondary, but each sample I pull is better than the last.

I do a tripel using 3787 and 1214. SInce 1214 is a little slower to start I usually do a starter of the 1214 and pitch that along with a smak pack of 3787. It give me a nice blend of the two flavors.

I pitched a 1388 with a 3787 on a tripel that was 1.090 and had fermentation activity before I was done cleaning up. Not sure if that's a good thing or not as it is still in primary. It was a monster, after 3 days I changed the blow off tube and container on the other end of the tube as the Krausen went all the way through the tube and was building up in the container. At 12 days my reading was 1.022.

How about Belgian/German? I'm drinking the best Saison I've ever brewed by pitching a jar of saved WLP565 (1/4 cake) and a smack pack of WY3068. Fermented a cider with part of that beer's yeast cake and it was a big hit at a party last weekend. Killed 3/4 keg with 4 other taps available.

Cool, sounds like a tasty brew! I figure my blend was about 4:1 and Dupont is far forward in the final product.

Pretty much anything that's 80:20 sacc to brett or 80:10:10 sacc to brett to lacto I personally enjoy.

Back