Blending beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
WOW! I was switching over kegs and blended my Coconut Nut Brown and Oatmeal Stout as an experiment. Talk about synergy! Each beer is pretty good but when blended it became a completely different beer that is better than either beer on its' own.....somewhere along the lines of a Coconut Oatmeal Stout. Anyone else blend beers either accidently or on purpose?

I've tried blending to make a braggot but the results were poor. My fault of course. Haven't tried it since

I've done a "burton baton" style blend of an wood-aged IIPA and a fresh hoppy IPA. I really like the results and suggest it to anyone with two good recipes that have overlaps

In my youth our standard drink was light and bitter, that was a half of draught bitter topped off with a bottle of light ale, it was a nice pint, maybe selective memory, maybe the bitter was crap.

Similar, though a little different: Ive blended an Arrogant Bastard clone before bottling: 1gal with Belgian yeast, 4 with 1056. Came out great!

I have a dual tap kegerator and enjoy trying the 'swamp' mix.

I had 1 success and the other tasted unappealing; A smoked porter mixed with a munich ale. Fun nonetheless.

I have blended a belgian tripple i made with the last bit of a Belgian Sasion i made and kegged. After 2 months it was fantastic. Still have 1 bottle left and its getting a 6 month rest before we try it.
One of our local growler fills started selling a local beer called Swill from 10 Barrel brewing thats made with grapefruit extract with a Rasberry cider. Called it Swillberry. Became a big seller with people out of the river last summer. Enough that 10 Barrel brewer bought some and is now going to start making it for sale as well.

blended a chocolate stout and an imperial pumpkin ale together. damn was it good.

My local watering hole LOVES doing this. One of the bartenders and I constantly are mixing different flavors to create some interesting combinations. One of my favorites is their Bean Flicker Blonde (coffee infused cream ale) with their barleywine. It's an amazing combination

Did this after I tested my non carbonated Pumkin ale, mixed it with a carbonated cream ale and it was awesome.

My friends and I had a tasting of bottled commercial pumpkin ales last fall that identified some lackluster brews that weren't getting much attention. Out of boredom and a dwindling beer supply we started blending beers. There were several blends that were much better together than on their own. The plain beer without much flavor and the one with too many spices went together pretty well, etc.

I'm interested in blending an imperial stout with an ale/t'ej mead to make a Bitches Brew clone. I'm curious about how to blend, however. The stout will take about 6-8 months to condition. The t'ej recipe says that it will be ready in about a month, but I'm a little confused because I thought that mead tastes better the longer it ages. Granted, t'ej is a sweet mead and is intended to be consumed quickly. So should I brew each separately and them blend them together to condition for 6-8 months, or condition them separately for 6-8 months, and then blend?

Edit: Upon a little more research I've decided to brew both at the same time and condition separately for 6-8 months. I'll blend together at that juncture and carbonate from there.

Latest posts

Back