Blending an already bottled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbarclay

Reaction score
Recently, I bottled my first 100% brett beer. A golden ale aged 9 months on brett...sour as a lemon - almost too sour, if such a thing be. Anyway, I didn't use any bottling yeast before I bottled, and it's super flat after being in the bottles for about 3 months. I have another sour beer in a fermenter that's been chugging along nicely for about 3 months. It's a red ale with american yeast, brett, and various bottle dregs. I know it has some time to go, so I was wondering if there is any harm blending these bottles into that fermenting beer. This is an experimental beer for me, so I'm up for a risk. That said, it is tasting fantastic only 3 months out (probably the Cantillon yeast), so even though I'm willing to risk, I don't want to destroy it unintentionally.

Has anyone done this? If so, what was the outcome.

Bad idea or give it a go?

Biggest issue is you are pouring a beer out of the bottle, which will introduce oxygen. I fear the amount of oxygen you might introduce could stale the beer.

Like the other post said you risk oxidation. If I were you I would go to the LHBS and get some dry yeast, pop all the bottles and add a few pellets of dry yeast to each bottle.

Back