Blendind Meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireFelps

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I´m here to share some new experiences I had. As a 'former' sommelier I´m very used with the winemaking practice of 'Assemblage' - blending different wines to get a better one. The idea is to get wines in wich one can compliment what is missing in another and in the final you have a more consistent product.

So, thinking of that I decided to explore this possibilities on meadmaking as well and I discovered it can be a great source of possibilities and studies as it implicates a lot of new questions to me. For exemplo: I recently made a very strong Bouchet Mead (I burnt me honey a lot!) that in the final got bitter (for me it´s ok but for my wife...) and also I finished a JAOM I mixed 20/80 bouchet/JAOM, and it got amazing! Much better color, the bitterness took out a little of the sweetness of JAOM but improved the middle tones of flavors, aromas and lenght in mouth as well... The same happend when mixing a 20/80 Bouchet/Blackberry melomel, the mispoint here were the facto of the melomel were dry... and got a little bitter. But I´m excited to continue that.

What you say guys?

Best Regards
SireFelps

This sounds very interesting. I have an almond mead that I made with 2 pounds of almond slices in the secondary. Turned out very bitter. I wonder what it will be like if I blend it with a strait sweet honey mead. Hopefully the almond flavor will come back and not be as bitter. I will have to open two bottles and try it.

Matrix

I'd rather not blend at all. For one thing a mead will change/evolve as it ages. What you might not like this year will change over the coming year(s). Unless you plan to blend in the glass, I can see how it would actually be a bad thing. Especially with young meads (IMO/IME any mead under 3-5 years is young).

Go for it. I made a blended braggot last year from a very sweet mead and an IPA that was awesome. I think the sweet mead and the hoppy IPA resulted in a very nice balance. My GF loved it too. I also created a lightly carbonated version of it which was quite good.

Sparking Braggot SDC12136.jpg

I think this can be a very successful process, and I plan on trying a pretty big experiment with it soon...

I have a ginger metheglin that is bulk aging for over a year, and is still quite hot (spicy hot, not alcoholic/fuesel hot). While I respect and agree with Golddiggie's assertion of how mead can change/improve for years, and do note that it has mellowed slightly, I'm pretty sure this one will always be very, very spicy, no matter how long it ages. I went ahead and brewed a semi-sweet traditional orange blossom (that was the type of honey in the ginger mead), and I plan on mixing several gallons of each together. I haven't decided on the exact ratio yet; I have to do some taste tests. I will bottle at least a gallon of the ginger mead by itself, just for aging comparisons...

Hi all,
Actually I also agree with Golddiggie about aging. But if it gets better anyway why not make a better composition now and wait for time show it´s work?
Curtis2010, nice to hear that it worked with you!
Matrix4b, almond should be very interesting for mead! Wish try doing it!
As I say before, in wine I´m sure it works... let´s see what happens with mead. I´m preparing some samples (few bottles) of some different ratios to seek for the best one after some time...

Best regards
Sirefelps

IMO, blending a mead too soon (IF I was to do it, which I'm not inclined to, I would do it in the glass) means you'll never really know what each one really could have become. I don't mind waiting a few years (or more) for a mead to become great. I have one that was meh when younger that I'll be trying again soon. It was made almost two years ago, so it could be finally coming into it's own. :D

Golddiggie said:
IMO, blending a mead too soon (IF I was to do it, which I'm not inclined to, I would do it in the glass) means you'll never really know what each one really could have become. I don't mind waiting a few years (or more) for a mead to become great. I have one that was meh when younger that I'll be trying again soon. It was made almost two years ago, so it could be finally coming into it's own. :D

Definitely why I want to keep some of each blended mead unblended for comparison...

Back