Blackwine IV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lupulin

Reaction score
I want to brew Jonny Liebermans' "Blackwine IV" crazy arse stout, but I have a few questions. Here is a quote from Jonny. I would just write to him, but 1)I don't think it is recipe specific and 2) I am not a member of the forum where Google found this and I am too lazy to join yet another homebrew website.

First of all, I'm really honored that you guys are brewing this beer.

Second, between Drew and Zymurgy the recipe got a bit effed up.

I blame Drew.

Anyhow, for the most part it's correct.

The biggest difference is that the first gallon of wort is pulled off and boiled with 1 pound of muscovado for 15 minutes and then retruned to the kettle.

And the other pound is added during runoff and boiled for the entire time.

Also -- it's first runnings. Period. No sparge for this batch.
-------

That said, I'm wondering if the 3-hour boil is the cause of the pain... Usually, the FG on my Blackwines gets pretty low (1.035 or so) but I remember with this one we got stuck at around 1.055.

That was 13.5% or so and it tasted great, so we went with it, but I wonder.

Still, obviously, 1.098 is WAY too high. More yeast might help... What was your original starter like?

What does he mean by saying it is first runnings, no sparge?

Is the full volume of water mashed in? So if you want to end up with 5.5 gal post boil, you need about 8 in the brew pot, so 11-12 in the MLT?

Also, if I was to do a partigyle brew, should I add anything to the MLT to avoid it being too watery? I have had, and made, a few Second runnings beers, and almost all were thin and over hopped. Any thoughts? Here is the recipe:

Blackwine IV

12lb domestic 2 row
12lb marris otter
2.25lb roasted barley
1.0lb flaked barley
1.0 flaked oats
.75lb Chocolate malt
.75lb Cyrstal 90
.25 Acidulated malt
2 cup organic coffe added to mash
2lb Dark Muscovado Sugar (end of boil)

.5 Northern Brewer (FWH)
.5 Mt Hood (FWH)

1.0 Eroica (90 min)
1.0 Chinook (90)

.5 Mt. Hood (30 minute)
.5 Northern Brewer (30)

.5 Eroica (5 min)
.5 Mt. Hood (5)

2.0 Mt. Hood (0 minute)

Boil 180 minutes
Age 10 months before serving

OG: 1.158
Final Target Gravity: 1.035
IBU: 82
SRM 67
Mash @150 for 90 min

What yeast is used and how much?

1272 american ale II,

I previously brewed Denny Conn's Rye IPA (Fantastic brew for anyone who hasn't tried it. Most highly recommended) and washed the yeast (Thanks HBT sticky). So I had about 5/8" of a cake of yeast in a qt. jar. I have since added a starter that I had ready (Jared/Caned AG starter og 1.035) and it is going OFF!. (+1 to fresh yeast!) I am about to step it up to 1.060 and by saturday, Teach A Friend To HBD, the yeast should be ready to go, I think. I was talking to my HB club members and they suggested that I call up a local Microbrewery (we [the club] are on good terms), and try to get a big slurry for this 'sumb*tch. Any and all feedback is appreciated.

Lupulin

Back