Blackberry Hefe...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrasy

Reaction score
I want to do a blackberry hefe but I've never put fruit in any of my beers before. I've got a ton of blackberry bushes around my house so I'm thinking I'll give it a go. I've read on here that they should be pasturized. Can someone explain to me how to do that? Is it just a low boil? Also at what poit would I add the berries? Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!

Warm a pot of water to 160F and steep the berries for 10 mins.

Drain and add berries to secondary. Some people crush the berries to extract all the juice from them.

I wouldn't use more than 2-3 lbs for a batch though as blackberries are strong.

Blueberries aren't all that strong even though you think they may be unless they are sweet. One trick may be to pour sugar on them like you would do to strawberries to bring out more sweetness.

I could be wrong, but IMO you'd probably need about 6-8 lbs.

morrasy said:
I'm sorry, I'm very new to this. What is steeping? Do you actually put them in the 160F water?

Steeping=add the berries to the 160 degree water and hold at that temp for the time designated.

Same as when you steep the grains for a batch of brew.

Blackberry Hefe's are SO good if done right... get a good low banana yeast if you can! Clove works well with blackberries.

Back